Toolbox Ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to build myself a toolbox for my hand tools. I've been collecting the kit for the last 2 and a bit years at college so most of the tools I need (as far as I'm aware) are there now (except planes) but they're all underneath each other or behind something else etc etc.

Anyhoo I'm after some ideas for making a wooden one so I can reach and organise everything in a snazzy fashion. Doesn't have to portable or anything, just to keep in the workshop... Maybe on wheels or the likes but not too important.

Or just pics of your own for inspiration?

Thanks

Calum

Calum,
I have a bit of a 'thing' for tool boxes. I have made several over the past year or so. I am on Mark 3 for my electrical tools.

This is my 'woodwork' tote.

Tool%20Tote%20Front.JPG

This was MK1 Electrical Box.

Installation%20Tool%20Tote.JPG

This was Mk2

And I made another last week and haven't taken a picture yet. I'll do one later.

I have given the previous ones away to the other engineers at work. They asked if I could make them one, so when I fine tuned the designs I let them have the previous versions. They seem very happy with them.

I can recommend the the Scott Landis 'Toolbox' book for inspiration. Trouble is you might want to make all of them.

Cheers
Lee.

Can't find a toolbox book by Scott Landis... There's one by Jim Tolphin that looks good though. MEant to buy that a while back but got the workbench book instead!

Calpol":1gk91uk0 said:
Can't find a toolbox book by Scott Landis... There's one by Jim Tolphin that looks good though. MEant to buy that a while back but got the workbench book instead!

Erm yes - sorry that's the one. :oops:

Still a good book though :?

Lee.

Philly":y807g62a said:

Very neat philly, bit posh for a toolbox, then again if you make it yourself you can make it as posh as you like.

When will you be finished mine :lol:

This is the nearest I got to making a tool chest, the Mrs nicked it to use as a blanket box, bloomin cheek.
insuranceclaim001.jpg

Toolbox Book is in the post, Play.com to the rescue as usual!

Loving that Philly, that's very much the idea I'm going for, the contrasting timber looks very smart as well

Philly that is very smart and I agree very posh for the workshop :D

While I do admire the others I am looking for ideas to make a wall hung cabinet along similar lines to waterhead37 great looking cabinet.

Cheers :D
Tony

That's very cool Mr37, too big for my workshop but looks amazing anyway! Like the idea of having doors opening into drawers though...

Also I designed a table with legs very similar to that one on the bench there a coupla years ago but never made it! :lol:

Blimey Waterhead, that's more posher than Philly's.

Shall we have a competition for the best looking toolbox/chest, perhaps nobody can beat these, OR CAN THEY 8)

Now that's just showing off Chris! :mrgreen: Very nice indeed.

Are we going to be seeing that table (if that is indeed what it is) in the projects section anytime soon?

here's mine,
not as posh as the previous two but it stretched by skills at the time

tool_cabinet.jpg

Andy

ps it would still stretch my skills if I tried t make another :lol:

Calpol":3vp305lp said:
Still cool though bud. This dark carcass/light drawers seems to be the in thing...
Seems to be a trend going on, well it's a kind of tool cabinet, it holds all my router bits, i'm allowed a little gloat :? aren't I :D
incra020.jpg

It took me ages :roll:

MarkW":3pl7xmwp said:
Are we going to be seeing that table (if that is indeed what it is) in the projects section anytime soon?

I'll try and produce a bit of a story when it's finished but as I am going to be away for a month or two, I don't know when that might be!

waterhead37":8vreb3m0 said:
Here's mine:-

Leg%20Construction.jpg
Now *that's* bragging! Gorgeous!

I use a number of plastic flip-top totes from Home Depot. Big enough to hold the tools I need, small enough to carry easily. They're different colours (shades of grey!) so I know what each contains... Total cost, about $20. On the other hand, I don't have as many tools as some!

Back