toolbag advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codmaster127

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys iam needing a little bit of advice on which toolbag to buy , i work as a joiner and carry a full sett of tools , i have a traditional heavy duty canvas/material style bag with the two handles on ,i think it was bought from b&q some years ago, now i have been looking on line etc but nearly all are plastic box type or small type for sparks , the closest one i could find was a makita ltx 600 , was just thinking i might get a bit of advice off some of the members , thanks ,

I'd avoid squarish boxes. Anything bulky gets difficult to manouver in small spaces such as going up and down stairs. Suitcase shape better - you can carry one in each hand and they take up less floor space. But your trad bags are pretty good too - I'd have one or two bags and one trad suitcase box for the most used items.
This sort of thing, made to fit your tools (e.g. long enough for a saw etc), as made by half the craft trade trainees in the world in many shapes and sizes. The lid/tray is handy for chucking things on to while you are working and when it's closed it takes up less space than a box
Screenshot 2021-08-22 at 08.14.53.png

If you search carpenters tool bag there is a good selection of the canvas bags still to be had. I use one too along with a tote bag

Not a bag but I’ve recently started using a couple of the new tote boxes from Festool with the fold down handle for my carpentry tools.
https://www.tooled-up.com/festool-s...6_1629620334_5f823b6bfb6c9e388de288bb19d2c283
No doubt Vantainer will sell them without the logo & in different colours. I’m finding them really handy so much so I’ve been thinking of making a top that will clip & lock on the top as when a couple of boxes are clipped together they give a nice working height for sawing etc.

I'm another Veto Pro Pac user. For smaller jobs which require a multitude of different tools they are really good (loads of pockets, durable and the shoulder strap is comfortable). Far, far better than the Stanley or DW - but you will pay a high price for one. I also have a Stanley backpack, but it really only gets used as auxilliary transport because it isn't big enough for many power tools, and in any case joiners tools are heavy, meaning there are limits to what you want to carry on your back

For power tools I have a selection of Systainers, Makpacs and similar compatible clip together boxes (many of which came with my tools) from Hikoki, Mafell, Metabo, etc which get moved around on a folding sack truck as required. I also have a couple of T-Loc totes.

If you aren't already on Systainers or compatibles I can see the DW or Milwaukee system boxes maybe being a better bet as they are slightly larger and made from a less brittle plastic, so possibly more durable on site.

Forget the LXT400/600 and lookee-likee padded bags (all the power tool makers offer them) - they can't carry heavy loads (and they do tend to get overloaded), the stitching is dreadful (meaning that the zips pull off prematurely) and the wheels are not up to the task. Been there, done that, far too many times

Last edited:
I am also a happy Veto user having three different ones and have not managed to break any of them so far. Various other tool bags and cases have not lasted long despite careful use.

+1 for veto pro pac.

Not sure on the model name, but the do a XXL bag - either with a flap, or open top, big enough to fit a jacksaw or 3ft level

<Edit: xxl-f bag or XXL tote>

OT-XXL---propped-1_0_grande.jpgveto_pro_pac_xxlf_vpp-xxlf_extra4.jpeg

You are all bonkers to pay that much money for a plastic and fibre tool box. No wonder day rates are so high. Make your own boxes. It elevates your self esteem and you will likely get more recommendation and recognition.

It's obvious that you don't do site work. The plastic and fibre toolboxes are a lot lighter (and probably a lot more robust) than plywood boxes. And the big enemy, at least in bigger jobs, is weight. The other thing about them is that they clip together easily, so it is possible to carry 2 or 3 boxes in each hand.

I doubt that making your own plywood boxes would gain you any kudos. Everyone knows how heavy they are

As to site rates, if you want some get yourself a CSCS card and come and join us. We struggle to get apprentices, and working outside on a roof in the winter isn't always that much fun...

You are all bonkers to pay that much money for a plastic and fibre tool box. No wonder day rates are so high.
How on earth do you work that out a couple of the boxes I suggested would cost you less than £80 go buy the materials & then add on the labour for the time it takes to make a box, I think you’ll find my option is way cheaper.

I still have my canvass bag that was made for me by a lady in the REME.
She used some spare canvass from an army jeep. Been going strong since the 80's

So maybe consider having a traditional bag made for those hand tools and I recommend sustainers for power tools.

I personally love the ability to chuck spare screws and odds & ends into my bag - they always come in handy if you are a site carpenter or do maintenance work.

Yes, you have to empty it every 6 months to clean out the bottom 1" 😉

I'm with bristol Rob on this. I had a canvas bag back in 1968 when i first started out 'on the tools ' as a Plumber and CH installer. it lasted me right through to 1980 when i went back to school. They are so easy to carry and easy to access your tools and don't cut your calves when you carry them like boxes can. You do have to clean them out periodically though ...yuk
Good to see that they are still available Tool Bag Traditional Plumbers Carpenters Jute Bass EXTRA LARGE 36 inch | eBay

I'm with bristol Rob on this. I had a canvas bag back in 1968 when i first started out 'on the tools ' as a Plumber and CH installer. it lasted me right through to 1980 when i went back to school. They are so easy to carry and easy to access your tools and don't cut your calves when you carry them like boxes can. You do have to clean them out periodically though ...yuk
Good to see that they are still available Tool Bag Traditional Plumbers Carpenters Jute Bass EXTRA LARGE 36 inch | eBay
That’s a blast from the past, my dad always had them though I don’t remember his being lined. His would weigh a ton with offcuts of lead & copper, old brass fittings etc but he wouldn’t let you clean it out as “ that bit might come in handy” :unsure:
I wouldn’t want to transport my site planes in one though as everything gets banged together in the bottom when you pick it up.

Last edited:
You are all bonkers to pay that much money for a plastic and fibre tool box. No wonder day rates are so high. Make your own boxes. It elevates your self esteem and you will likely get more recommendation and recognition.

It would take me a full day - possibly two - to make a toolbox)bag to even close to the same standard as a Veto - and even then, probably not, since I'm NOT a tailor, or cabinetmaker.
Plus materials.

Considering my day rate is about the same as the RRP (but I bought mine 2nd hand for about 70% of new), it's *cheaper* for me to buy one.

And my day rate is "so high", because that is what my time - my *life* - is worth.

Same reason that I drive a Lexus, instead of a home made tuk-tuk.

I have a main tool bag, which is a stanley tote, really like it, holds more tools than I could lift, pretty well organised but also plenty of room for "chuck it in" stuff. Carries a small saw and I can strap a level to the top etc. This holds my general purpose tools.
I then have a small fabric bag with a hard bottom, it has a few pockets but is mainly just a big open space. I use this for task specific tools, so I will pull out what I need to do a particular job and put them in this bag (most of my tools live in the workshop in drawers or on the wall etc).

Works well for me.

I put the tools I'm using for a particular job in a plastic trug, or a plastic bucket - which is also handy for spare screws etc. I try everything possible to keep tools and materials separate though, as a general rule.

It's obvious that you don't do site work. The plastic and fibre toolboxes are a lot lighter (and probably a lot more robust) than plywood boxes. And the big enemy, at least in bigger jobs, is weight. The other thing about them is that they clip together easily, so it is possible to carry 2 or 3 boxes in each hand.
Are you saying you have to carry your own tools these days, weight was never an issue in days past as it built up the staminar of the mates & apprentices, they always started off as donkeys to give them a good work ethic for when they got their papers.

Back