tool to reduce thickness of dowel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a large pencil sharpener that is adjustable that I could use to reduc the size of some dowels I have?

Actually they are extra long broom handles for a teepee that my mother made for our little boy. She got the measurements wrong and the bits the dowels go through are a tad too tight.

I'm sure I've seen the sort of thing and pretty sure I could make something, but thought if I knew what it was called I could see how cheap it would be to buy one.

The type of tool you're after is called a "Stail Engine". They were used to make things like broom handles in the past. They're not exactly falling out of trees, so i don't know where you would get one from these days. Could not just use abrasive paper to reduce the diameter?

could use a chisel and just pare of tiny bits and work round then sand the edges smooth, dose it matter that it wont be a perfect cylinder?

adidat

what size dowel do you need? i may have soom you could have, the petrol might be cheaper than the tools.

Hi Mick

It sounds like you need a dowel plate. You could make your own or buy one, such as this one sold by LN ...

dowelplate_1.jpg

The large dowel size you mentions suggests that you may need a custom size hole.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You don't need to buy anything, just make a dowel cradle and plane them down. Make it like this, as long as you need...simples.

dowelmaker.jpg

WOW! thanks for all of the suggestions chaps!

The chairmakers rounder was what I had pictured. Theres a bit too much to sand off so I think this will fit the bill. I did try and block plane which did work, but I think it'll take too long and at 1.8m they are a bit too long to put on the bench in my shed.

Many thanks for the offer Chrispy. I think I'll have a go at knocking one of these up first. Looks a useful tool! I'm sure I've seen those at car boot sales before.

That trapping plane looks fascinating!

Actually, I have a dowel plate that I am testing for a tool producer, but it doesnt go big enough. More to come on that.

Many thanks all!

Hi

I have an Ashaham Crafts trapping plane - lovely to use on wet wood and functional on seasoned, (may be down to my sharpening deficiencies). It's one of those tools that make me think, 'such a simple idea' :)

Regards Mick

mickthetree":39rx900l said:
...Actually they are extra long broom handles for a teepee that my mother made for our little boy...

Hi Mick the tree,

I am looking for approximately 30mm dowelling at least 1.8m long, I did a google hunt for extra long broom handles (though this is not for handles) and found your reference above. Do you know where your mother found those handles?

Whilst it is an old post, I have used rounders, and in fact made various sizes of them. When I was at college we spent a week camping in Longleat making wet wood furniture.

Cheers

Hi Steuart
In the end I managed to source some long broom handles through work. They are plywood would you believe! But seem quite stable. PM me for more details.
Cheers

Have a look for an Agricultural supplies shop - we have SCATS where I live.
They usually keep a wide range of broom handles?

Rod

Harbo":2am1uoix said:
we have SCATS where I live.

I was looking at broom handles for use as dowel only yesterday in a SCATS store. Very expensive at £12.75 for an only slightly heavier and longer than standard handle.

Prompted by the mention of broom handles, an example of Aberdonian humour:-
Went to look at a 6" cast iron planer, along with a load of odds and ends, that a guy had for sale near here. There were several folk around looking at stuff and I decided against the planer, but bought a heavy, intact yard brush. One of the other punters looked at it, nodded, and commented that it was a bargain "if I was sure it worked"......

Back