Tool steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hattori-Hanzo":2ruz9t0f said:
Am I right in saying 01 tool steel/guage plate comes in an annealed form so you can cut it with a hack saw and shape it, you then have to heat treat it to harden it and then temper it.

HSS is already hardened so wont cut with a hacksaw, if you need to change its size you would have to grind it.

for a plane blade I'd go with 01 tool steel and harden, temper it. like mentioned you can do this easily on a small blade with a propane torch and some vegetable oil.

Yes.

Anyone following Phil P's really useful suggestion of going to Coventry Grinders will find a guide to this on their website.

The product listing tells you this:

Gauge plate (also known as ground flat stock) is a high quality tool steel supplied in its annealed condition. Precision ground to size on both width and thickness dimensions to a close tolerance. Ground flat stock is capable of reaching very high hardness levels with minimal movement. This gives the product great versatility to a whole range of engineering applications.

Gauge plate is made from 01 grade tool steel that is supplied in an annealed condition. This means the material is soft enough to machine easily and the ability to be hard wearing. Gauge plate can also be hardened to a maximum of 62 degrees Rockwell C.

And you can download a document with more details here:

https://www.coventry-grinders.co.uk/app ... -Sheet.doc

You need to harden it which is very easy as its only really the cutting edge and around 1/2" back that you need to harden. As said a normal mapp torch ,heat the area to cherry red and dip in oil( or i just use water ) .end up very hard , a file wont mark it.
You can cut the 10 0r 12 mm x 2-3mm standard stock length ways with a dremel . File or grind to right width and then harden the cutting edge.
Im new here , i was a member here years ago but as i have a new id i cant post any links or photos.
Bob

bob543":2dpxqt6j said:
You need to harden it which is very easy as its only really the cutting edge and around 1/2" back that you need to harden. As said a normal mapp torch ,heat the area to cherry red and dip in oil( or i just use water ) .end up very hard , a file wont mark it.
You can cut the 10 0r 12 mm x 2-3mm standard stock length ways with a dremel . File or grind to right width and then harden the cutting edge.
Im new here , i was a member here years ago but as i have a new id i cant post any links or photos.
Bob

The moderators might be able to help you get your old id back.

If you are really averse to cutting stock down you could get slightly oversize round bar and file it square/to size. Untreated o1 files easily.

HSS planer blades are 3mm thick. I use them for all sorts of cutting tools, they are fairly easy to grind and hold a good edge, impossible to overheat too.

transatlantic":92d7oqtq said:
No real preference, just experimenting really. So either works for the time being. I thought o1 is harder (takes longer to sharpen), longer lasting edge, where as HSS is softer, easier to work, shorter lasting edge.

I assumed it was already hardened as the o1 steel I have recieved has been a nightmare to cut/grind, and was much easier to just snap

The HSS steel is already hardened and there is no practical way for you to heat treat it yourself without a heat treating oven.

The O1 steel can be purchased in the soft condition that you can work with hacksaw and file. Then heat with a torch, quench in hot oil and then temper in a regular oven. SWMBO :evil: may have a contrary opinion on the oven part of that. If you got the O1 in wider stock 1, 2 or more inches wide, you can shape it to the sizes you want.

Pete

Bm101":o5cm18pr said:
If you are really averse to cutting stock down you could get slightly oversize round bar and file it square/to size. Untreated o1 files easily.

The grinding to size isn't an issue, it's the added complication to the plane design that I was planning on using.

Anyway - I've ordered some now (that I will grind to size), so will see how it goes.

O1 is easily cut on a Metal cutting Bandsaw, and then can be hardened , by heating to cherry red and quenching in oil, not water (The O stands for oil quenching/hardening) . Contact you local Model Engineering group or get your metal supplier to rip off a few strips off some gauge plate for you. Shouldn't take more than 30 min to do.

Latest posts

Back