Tool shortages

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

large red

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit more time on my hands so I thought I would utilize some sawn 9x2 that I have had stored for 16 years so I thought I would buy a erbauer planer from screwfix the 250mm one... none in stock! In fact nothing in stock.Is this Covid 19?

large red":3j8uegq2 said:
Bit more time on my hands so I thought I would utilize some sawn 9x2 that I have had stored for 16 years so I thought I would buy a erbauer planer from screwfix the 250mm one... none in stock! In fact nothing in stock.Is this Covid 19?

I've been waiting for this: the ships from China stopped sailing weeks ago, but have only just stopped arriving - last week I believe. If there is any plastic tat from China you particularly need, I recommend buying it soonest, because it may never be available again. We live in interesting times.(Do you see what I did there?)

Would that be panic buying, or getting it early to avoid the rush? I find it hard to tell the difference. It may all be too late now, anyway.

.....or perhaps it’s just a sensible scaling down of services?

What’s more likely, no more “tat” from China or that a giant planer doesn’t fit into the category of ‘essential’ products...?

For balance, B&Q (another of the Kingfisher Group) shut today to re-organise there stores & online offerings to, it’s own group interpretation of, ‘essential’ products only.

Richy.

Attachments

• D4F91882-495E-46F0-9F4E-A56499E8AD50.jpeg
    D4F91882-495E-46F0-9F4E-A56499E8AD50.jpeg
    912.7 KB · Views: 551
Trainee neophyte":20w6ztk6 said:
......I recommend buying it soonest, because it may never be available again........

I'm interested in your logic here. Why would you suspect that multitudes of products will never be available again?

large red":2jl1k3fr said:

This was out of stock for delivery over 6 weeks ago. Enquiring at the the local store indicated it was end of life but they had no idea if anything was going to replace it.

MikeG.":jkuq7f5e said:
Trainee neophyte":jkuq7f5e said:
......I recommend buying it soonest, because it may never be available again........

I'm interested in your logic here. Why would you suspect that multitudes of products will never be available again?
China closed a significant proportion of it's manufacturing. The assumption is that, come the reopening of Wuhan, production will just restart, and the world economy will just take up from where it left off, with absolutely no change to any thing or any one. Most European countries are also in complete shutdown. Will their economies just restart as if nothing ever happened? Banks will have huge holes in their balance sheets, but never mind, because central banks will just ignore rules, throw free money at their friends and generally make everything perfect again.

Or will they?

US has made it clear that they want to wean themselves off Chinese manufacturing, and they can't go to war with China until they stop using Chinese built computer chips in all their military kit. Making use of a crisis, I can see the world economy foundering over the next few weeks, and there may not even be a market for China to sell into, if Europe and USA implode into the depression that should have happened 10 years ago.

The above is definitely a worst case scenario, and you may have to accept one or two conspiracy theories to get it to work, but right now, I do not think the world will be the same after Coronavirus as it was before hand. To what extent we will have to see, but I am working on the basis of being poorer for longer. If I'm wrong, I get to pocket unexpected bonus cash, but if I'm right, hopefully I will be better prepared. It's one of the reasons I bought my new bandsaw - it was a now or never proposition - not because they won't be making them any more, but because I won't be able to afford such fripperies. It may even have an income-producing role, come the fall of civilization, and that's what I told my wife when I ordered it. :oops:

Back