Tool Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Advise from the experts please.

I had a lathe for Christmas and didn't use it until I had been on a two day beginners course. This was very good and helped me understand all the bits of the lathe and what tools are what.

This gave me the confidence to start practicing on my own. My problem is that we didn't tend to spend a great deal of time on tool sharpening.
I have tried (not very successfully) to get a good edge on my tools and obviously this is affecting the pieces I'm practicing with.

Who can point me in the right direction for a jig that can help me set up the right angle for the tools on the grinder and whats the best buy.

Waka

Hi Waka,

Welcome to the forum.

Something I've found over the years is that a lot of the places offering courses in woodturning seem happy to send the student on his or her way having made 3 or 4 items, an egg, candlestick, small bowl etc and appear to totally ignore the basics of the craft, tool control, sharpening and finishing. Without these basic skills you're on your own once you get back home.

If you take a look at the thread currently on UK Workshop about jigs and sharpening it may help, if not come back onto the forum and someone will help.

CC

CC

Thanks

I have spent about an hour trying to find the thread you mentioned but to no avail :cry:

So if anyone out there can help i'd appreciate it.

Thanks Waka

Latest posts

Back