Tool sharpening service for around 30 chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubrey

Reaction score
Hi all.

My father passed away around 7 years ago and I used his lathe a few times but not long later, as I had no space for it, I had to put the lathe and many other tools in storage.
I've recently started renting a workshop space and been able to use the lathe a couple of times, however most of the chisels are in serious need of some sharpening.
There are quite a few, around 30 I think, some quite old that he inherited from HIS father, others from other turners. As there are so many, and I'd used and mis-sharpened a few in the past, I owe it to my dad and would really like to find someone to give them all a proper go around.

I'm based in London but don't mind sending or driving somewhere to have them looked at. Could anyone recommend someone who would sharpen around 20-30 turning chisels?

Many thanks

Hi all.

My father passed away around 7 years ago and I used his lathe a few times but not long later, as I had no space for it, I had to put the lathe and many other tools in storage.
I've recently started renting a workshop space and been able to use the lathe a couple of times, however most of the chisels are in serious need of some sharpening.
There are quite a few, around 30 I think, some quite old that he inherited from HIS father, others from other turners. As there are so many, and I'd used and mis-sharpened a few in the past, I owe it to my dad and would really like to find someone to give them all a proper go around.

I'm based in London but don't mind sending or driving somewhere to have them looked at. Could anyone recommend someone who would sharpen around 20-30 turning chisels?

Many thanks
A really nice sentiment to restore your farthers chisels and I’m sure there will be members on this forum that can help you out . Not wishing to state the obvious but you could try an internet search for a local company that can meet your needs unless of course your looking for the personal touch, either way I hope you get some help ( lost my dad 2 years ago)

If you are going to be turning then you will have to learn sharpening. Turning tools require more frequent sharpening than other tools. Every few minutes in some cases. Find your local turning club or men's shed for someone to show you how it's done. Having them sharpened is only good for a short time but being able to sharpen them yourself is good for life.
Regards
John

As mentioned above, if you intend getting into turning seriously it would be worth buying a Tormek or Robert Sorby sharpening system…and doing them yourself…there’s lots of info on YouTube…They can be used to sharpen other tools as well…and it’s quite therapeutic doing it yourself..

It isn't just buying a Tormek - it is the plethora of turning tool jigs for it. For a T8 and turning tool jig kit is the thick end of a grand.

And then you have to learn the knack of using them all, which is not trivial.

The OP said that he had mis-sharpened a few, and others badly needed sharpening. So it looks like it needs someone with the right kit to help the guy out. Suggesting method A, B, C is not what the guy needs.

Hi all.

Many thanks
Hi I’m in havant in Hampshire I use a robert sorby pro edge if you can’t find a closer source I’d be happy to help and you can see the benefits of pro edge system.

Hi all.

Many thanks
Hi Aubrey
You would only need to sharpen a few basic gouges and not the entire 30. A basic book on turning, there are plenty on eBay, Amaxon, World of Books etc are good reference points. Lots of advice given by others below.

If they are very old they may very well be carbon steel, which is easy to spoil on a grinding wheel.
Perhaps they'd benefit from a graceful retirement in a display case and a replacement set of modern tools, jig and grinder for ongoing use

Keith Rowley’s book Woodturning: A foundation course has, besides a lot of very helpful advice, a design of an adaptable tool rest for turning tools. I built one and can say it certainly works.
It takes a little practice but is a lot cheaper than buying a whole system (I made mine from scrap wood).
If your tools need total reshaping, then its worth finding an experienced local who can give you some tution/help get the right shape to get you on track.
Rowley’s book also has some suggested profiles for the common turning tools which should give you an idea where you need to get to with them.

That was the book that got me started. I am still using the toolrest after about 17 years. The cheap grinder is getting a bit sorry however. Used his lathe bench design too and its still going strong.
Regards
John

Getting someone else to sharpen your tools won't get you very far. Depending on the wood, the tools might need to be sharpened every few minutes - sometimes more often! to do this sustainably, you will firstly need to find some way to sharpen the tools yourself (a bench grinder is probably the cheapest realistic option) and then learn how to use it to sharpen your tools. All can be done freehand if you are prepared to learn how but most people use jigs for at least the more complex tools because that gives better repeatability and consistency.
Finding someone to go over sharpening with you and correcting any bad grinds you may have created would be a good way to start but ultimately, aim to learn to sharpen your tools yourself.

I do have a bench grinder with an adjustable rest that my dad put together. Sort of know how to maintain them now, but I just wanted to get a clean slate. And a bonus would be for someone with good knowledge to talk me through the sharpening of some odd ones.

Latest posts

Back