Tool roll recommendation sought.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have inherited some carving chisels, currently jumbled in a box. I’d like to get a tool roll to provide protection for edges, and from rust, and for ease of use.
I’ve seen nice leather ones but they were expensive, also very cheap ones which may be questionable ref real value for money. Then there are canvass, waxed canvass, cotton, polyvinyl amongst others.
Id welcome your advice on what tool rolls you would go for?
thanks, Mike

I tried the ones sold by Ashley Iles, but the gouges either chopped them up if inserted iron first, or stuck out of the end of the roll if inserted handle first, which was very good for finger chopping.

Pfeil tool rolls are the only ones that I use now, which I highly recommend. They are spendy, but very good and I think that Dictum do an own brand version too.

I know this may sound a bit daft and none of us have money to burn but it might be better to get a really cheap one just to try out.

The reason is that tool rolls never really match what you imagine in my experience. The flaps don't always fold back down . The handle half can bulk up immensely (and then won't fit back in your toolbox) Some slots are just too close for the tools and you can only use 70% of them. They start at £3.00 on ebay and it might be worth it rather than shelling on anything half decent that then lets you down. Just my opinion - hope you find what you need.

The only time any of my chisels rusted was when I left them in a leather roll.

I had the same thing when I used one of the 'cheaper' suede-type rolls.
Fortunately it was a set of Lidl chisels and I was able to catch it quickly, so no lasting damage done.
I don't use that particular roll for metal tools any more.

However, it has not happened with a leather roll that came with a set of Lie-Nielsen chisels, so I attributed the rust issues with a residue in the tanning process used in the cheapo version.

I brought the suede connell ones( sheffield) expensive and nice to look at but don't do the job as the chisels fall out. I like the suede ones from tirantis lovely and soft and spacy. canvas cloth ones are good. I had a vinyl one that was good as well. I think they need to be soft so the grip the chisel bundle well. the connell one is a bit boards and stiff the chisels aren't gripped and they fall out.

I have a set of Kirschen chisels in a leather roll and my set of DIY Dewalt chisels in a cheapie canvas roll and none have rusted as I protect them with a light coating of ACF50

Workshop Heaven canvas tool rolls aren't bad. They come in 6, 10 and 12 pocket versions and are pretty cheap at £14.50, £16 and £18 respectively.

I've got two, one for carving knives and the other for auger bits. Haven't had a problem with anything falling out which is good as the carving knives are SHARP!

Hi folks, thank you so much for your views and comments, they are really helpful.I shall seek out some of the more affordable rolls and make sure the chisels are suitably treated with a rust inhibitor before they are put away. Then I must start practicing some carving!
thanks again, Mike.

Back