Tool offers / rent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the whole thread. You don't need to repeat yourself. I raised legitimate issues. Ignore them if you wish. The fact you didn't know what HSE stands for until a moment ago is telling for me. I'm not saying don't do what you plan; I'm saying make sure your ass is covered, but it's your choice. Slainte.
I'm all about my ass covering mate, thanks for your concern. Last thing I want is to have some unwelcomed problems. (y)

I don't get why many folks first reaction is so negative. its happening in a low key could you run this board through your thicknesser please way. woodwork is a thing much better shared. much much much better shared. I reckon the chances of meeting a thief doing this from this forum are close to zero.
most likely you'll meet once or twice with a chap just starting out. have a chat and a cuppa. that's it. nobody is going to chop any digits off. ( apart from you)
why bring up communism? seriously people try and join a woodwork club you will find the biggest issue is sharpening arguments....an whose making the tea.
take my advice and if you read a suggestion like this and your first reaction is..what about health and safety then refrain from joining in!...please
I am in a woodworking club & they have to take H&S very seriously so much so I have had to sign a declaration on what is expected of me & my behaviour particularly when using machines.

If someone was to injure themselves in my workshop & it could be proved I was in anyway negligent I would be liable, surely that is worth pointing out to anyone thinking of letting someone use their workshop?

As I've said I think Fanous’s idea is admirable but surely people should be made aware of any potential risks in doing so?

I think a lot of the negative emotions, HSE worries, theft concerns, data protection concerns etc are just symptomatic of the way society is getting paranoid about everything and everyone.

It's sad to hear, but that's life now in the 21st century.

I think a lot of the negative emotions, HSE worries, theft concerns, data protection concerns etc are just symptomatic of the way society is getting paranoid about everything and everyone.

It's sad to hear, but that's life now in the 21st century.
I agree but it’s driven by ambulance chasing lawyers, I didn’t have product liability insurance for well over 30 years never even thought about it but I have it now.

they aren't using your workshop your using your workshop to help someone to finish a project. ( or maybe start a project)
it's possible to make something without exposing people to any danger and for them to gain experience seeing how machinery is used without signing anything. I've worked in loads of businesses that have been negligent and I've never seen any consequences from numerous incidents I've witnessed. the most amusing was a guy who tripped stepping over barrier tape broke his ankle and tried to sue.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the responses to this thread. Somebody, who has the appropriate expensive tooling is offering their services to fellow members who cannot afford, or justify the expense of such tooling. Nowhere has anyone said that the person being helped will operate the machinery, so where is the risk, liability, etc. except to the person offering the help, voluntarily. Personally , I would be glad of such an offer were it needed and I think we need a little bit more of this cameraderie and less of the bitching that goes on about what could go wrong. Isn't that what this site is all about, helping others?

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the responses to this thread. Somebody, who has the appropriate expensive tooling is offering their services to fellow members who cannot afford, or justify the expense of such tooling. Nowhere has anyone said that the person being helped will operate the machinery, so where is the risk, liability, etc. except to the person offering the help, voluntarily. Personally , I would be glad of such an offer were it needed and I think we need a little bit more of this cameraderie and less of the bitching that goes on about what could go wrong. Isn't that what this site is all about, helping others?

...THANK YOU...

I support the concept of helping each other out and it need not be limited to (or even include) providing machining or a tool lending service.

This may be by demonstrating a machine which someone is thinking of buying, providing hands on tuition, getting intelligent feedback on design, workshop layout, a spare pair of hand for a glue up, etc etc.

This forum seems generally very helpful but having a fairly local range of like-minded woody contacts who povide mutual help and support would be valuable.

There are numerous woodturning clubs around which encourage this exchange of views, ideas, opinions etc etc. There are far fewer woodworking clubs - although the mens sheds movement may provide something of a base.

There is a difference between the hobby/weekend woodworker, and professionals who are understandably concerned with H&S, insurance, and use their (expensive) kit to make a living.

As one of the former I would welcome more local interaction.

I reckon the pandemic has gifted many people time and a need to do something . the limitations of the Internet in being that guiding hand can be really obvious.ive had the most pleasure from sharing woodworking with like minded people. it can be a reason to make when you hit brick wall.

I think a significant part of the issue here is the thread title. We have many good reasons why ‘ tool offers / rent ‘ is a minefield for both parties, however this has morphed to ‘ local interest / support network ‘ which has a lot more potential.

I'd like to build a database of people who posses woodworking tools, and would be willing to let other Woodworkers (who don't have the tools) stop by in their workshop, and help them out, by either letting them use the tool, or do few things for them. For example, I've got a nice jointer/thicknesser, and I'd be happy to run few boards through for someone who doesn't have that tool.

Some of you might recognise the idea, and you would be correct. It's been here under a different name, and got deleted by admins, as it was seen as promotion of payed service. As a result of that, this thread shall be considered unpaid help.

If you would like to chip in, please leave a note below, and I shall add you to the list. Please list your tools and rough location (say nearest city), and any extra info you want.

Thanks.

NOTE - The assumption is that you as owner operate the tool. Not the person asking for help!
------------------------
Database
------------------------
Fanous - planer/thicknesser & more - Daventry
Cabinetman - large planer/thicknesser, large table saw, morticer, spindle moulder + all the normal stuff - Grimsby NE Lincs ares
Woodman 2 - Excellent idea...and you learn skills from other people....! 10” dimension saw, Bandsaw, spindle, Lathe, 3/4” Morticer, 10” planer/thicknesser, model engineering Lathe, etc. Advice as well. ONLY I USE THE MACHINES! Happy to help out.....Nr Tunbridge Wells

I'd like to build a database of people who posses woodworking tools, and would be willing to let other Woodworkers (who don't have the tools) stop by in their workshop, and help them out, by either letting them use the tool, or do few things for them. For example, I've got a nice jointer/thicknesser, and I'd be happy to run few boards through for someone who doesn't have that tool.

Some of you might recognise the idea, and you would be correct. It's been here under a different name, and got deleted by admins, as it was seen as promotion of payed service. As a result of that, this thread shall be considered unpaid help.

If you would like to chip in, please leave a note below, and I shall add you to the list. Please list your tools and rough location (say nearest city), and any extra info you want.

Thanks.

NOTE - The assumption is that you as owner operate the tool. Not the person asking for help!
------------------------
Database
------------------------
Cabinetman - large planer/thicknesser, large table saw, morticer, spindle moulder + all the normal stuff - Grimsby NE Lincs ares
Woodbee 2 - There is a Workshop just South of Tun’ Wells...not been in there, but they rent out Bench Space by the Hour. Will find out more details..

Thanks.

------------------------
Database
------------------------
Woodbee2 - Message 2 - The Workshop Space details are;- Space2Make, Buckhurst Workshop, Bells Yew Green, Tun’ Wells, Kent, TN3 9BP. 01892 335100. [email protected]

Woodman 2 - Excellent idea...and you learn skills from other people....! 10” dimension saw, Bandsaw, spindle, Lathe, 3/4” Morticer, 10” planer/thicknesser, model engineering Lathe, etc. Advice as well. ONLY I USE THE MACHINES! Happy to help out.....Nr Tunbridge Wells

Looks like I ran into some technical issue / limitation in here. I'm no longer able to edit the header of the thread, hence I can't continue to add people in there... What a shame. Not sure about getting some google doc together, and have a link to it? How would people feel about that? Or other ideas? Or just let people read the whole thread to find out?

I think a significant part of the issue here is the thread title. We have many good reasons why ‘ tool offers / rent ‘ is a minefield for both parties, however this has morphed to ‘ local interest / support network ‘ which has a lot more potential.
Yeah I agree the title could have been better... Happy to hear ideas.

Very good point. Possible title "Local help/advice network" perhaps?

I’d be happy to get involved, in my opinion it’s no different to helping a mate out. In fact you are more likely to have something horrible happen if it is your mate as you are more likely to let them get involved in whatever task it is.
14 inch table saw, planer/thicknesses, spindle moulder, morticer, various other machinery. Also plasma cutter, welding and general fabrication which may be of interest to some. North Cotswolds.
Its not a business, and I can totally understand reticence from some who are running a business….

I’d be happy to get involved, in my opinion it’s no different to helping a mate out. In fact you are more likely to have something horrible happen if it is your mate as you are more likely to let them get involved in whatever task it is.
14 inch table saw, planer/thicknesses, spindle moulder, morticer, various other machinery. Also plasma cutter, welding and general fabrication which may be of interest to some. North Cotswolds.
Its not a business, and I can totally understand reticence from some who are running a business….
Thanks mate.

I'll need to set up a new thread here, with better name and better description of what the idea is. I'd still welcome more suggestions on that, please. I'll then carry over the info gathered here, and link the new thread.

Back