Tool offers / rent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my main concern is what is the motive behind your database? why are you collecting data in the first place? nobody needs to know exactly where I live and what tools I own, I am sure your motives are good but if a hacker or criminal got hold of the information it would be useful for them for targeted burglaries.

I don't get why many folks first reaction is so negative. its happening in a low key could you run this board through your thicknesser please way. woodwork is a thing much better shared. much much much better shared. I reckon the chances of meeting a thief doing this from this forum are close to zero.
most likely you'll meet once or twice with a chap just starting out. have a chat and a cuppa. that's it. nobody is going to chop any digits off. ( apart from you)
why bring up communism? seriously people try and join a woodwork club you will find the biggest issue is sharpening arguments....an whose making the tea.
take my advice and if you read a suggestion like this and your first reaction is..what about health and safety then refrain from joining in!...please

The analogique reference to communism was simply to demonstrate how something can appear
utopic in theory, but, in practice, is quite a different animal.

my main concern is what is the motive behind your database? why are you collecting data in the first place? nobody needs to know exactly where I live and what tools I own, I am sure your motives are good but if a hacker or criminal got hold of the information it would be useful for them for targeted burglaries.

The motive, very bluntly, is that the op is trying to make his machines pay for themselves.
It's the elephant in the room.

Last edited:
these type of posts never get any traction because there's always a load of people ready to focus solely on what could go wrong. and why it's an extremely bad idea.
consider what could go right how your input could make someone a woodworker for life.maybe even a friend. if the welder next door wants a bit of stuff cutting I don't say sorry I can't. and his only interest is having a smaller plank. when I started the biggest danger was complete inexperience. the only time I could see a tool being used was after I'd brought it.

No one wants to know your address dude. Just the nearest city, so someone from Birmingham area would know you are local to him/her... DOH... I can't believe I have to say this, but there are some basics of online presence and safety. Clearly you SHOULD NOT post any personal information online anywhere. Address, phone number, email, card details.... If you like the idea of helping, as per the topic, just your rough location, and tools you have and think others don't have, is all that's needed. From there you might get a PM, and start a chat... If you like that person, you can take it further. If not, just stop talking to them. I don't give two f*cks about other people's possesions. I don't care if you work in a quadruple garage with thousands of pounds worth of kit....

My true motivation? I know how good it is to be in a dung, and find that one person, who has just the tool you need this one time, because your tool ain't good enough to give you the result you require. I've recently made a bench for myself. Having a basic Axminster jointer thicknesser, I've done 95% of all milling on it, but the top slabs, I just could not get them straight enough, as my jointer was just too small, and not that rigid to cope with the size and weight. I had seeked out a pro workshop, and had them run it through their big mill, and it was well worth it. Slabs nice flat and quare, ready for last glue up and finishing the bench. I simply think it's great to have someone you can find, and get the help for that 5% work that you just can't do yourself to complete a project.

these type of posts never get any traction because there's always a load of people ready to focus solely on what could go wrong. and why it's an extremely bad idea.
consider what could go right how your input could make someone a woodworker for life.maybe even a friend. if the welder next door wants a bit of stuff cutting I don't say sorry I can't. and his only interest is having a smaller plank. when I started the biggest danger was complete inexperience. the only time I could see a tool being used was after I'd brought it.

I had few people chipping in on the idea in the previous thread, but it got deleted. Shame. There was no negativism either.

No one wants to know your address dude. Just the nearest city, so someone from Birmingham area would know you are local to him/her... DOH... I can't believe I have to say this, but there are some basics of online presence and safety. Clearly you SHOULD NOT post any personal information online anywhere. Address, phone number, email, card details.... If you like the idea of helping, as per the topic, just your rough location, and tools you have and think others don't have, is all that's needed. From there you might get a PM, and start a chat... If you like that person, you can take it further. If not, just stop talking to them. I don't give two f*cks about other people's possesions. I don't care if you work in a quadruple garage with thousands of pounds worth of kit....

My true motivation? I know how good it is to be in a dung, and find that one person, who has just the tool you need this one time, because your tool ain't good enough to give you the result you require. I've recently made a bench for myself. Having a basic Axminster jointer thicknesser, I've done 95% of all milling on it, but the top slabs, I just could not get them straight enough, as my jointer was just too small, and not that rigid to cope with the size and weight. I had seeked out a pro workshop, and had them run it through their big mill, and it was well worth it. Slabs nice flat and quare, ready for last glue up and finishing the bench. I simply think it's great to have someone you can find, and get the help for that 5% work that you just can't do yourself to complete a project.
@Fanous I’m sorry you’re getting such a lot of grief over this, it seems very simple to me and I agree with you entirely. Help somebody along the way, always have and it’s never done me any harm and I have some really good friends who know they can ask me any time as I can them.
So yes I will join your database. Is this to be it or another thread? Ian

... by either letting them use the tool, or do few things for them. For example, I've got a nice jointer/thicknesser, and I'd be happy to run few boards through for someone who doesn't have that tool.
I'd guess the first thing that would to have be in place for the workshop/equipment owner would be appropriate liability insurance; £2,000,000 should just about cover it, as long as it specifies any user is covered, from inexperienced to certified professional. My guess is that such insurance, relevant risk assessments, workshop inductions, machines and equipment certifiably set up to relevant safety standards, and adherence to safe working practices such as those guided by the Health and Safety Executive, and so on.

Generous idea on your part, but I suspect you'd really need to look into aspects such as that if you were to open your workshop in any form to those who want to use your machinery rather than you do the work for them whilst they wait (outside maybe?) for you to do the job for them. Slainte.

I’ve been helped out by other members on here for years, occasionally I can do something for them too.

I’ve borrowed tools from them, they’ve borrowed tools from me.

Would I help out someone local, yes. Would I help out anyone on this forum, no.

It’s totally up to you, you can be the person who helps others, or you can not be.

If you think HSE have a problem with this, I suggest you read their website.

I'd guess the first thing that would to have be in place for the workshop/equipment owner would be appropriate liability insurance; £2,000,000 should just about cover it, as long as it specifies any user is covered, from inexperienced to certified professional. My guess is that such insurance, relevant risk assessments, workshop inductions, machines and equipment certifiably set up to relevant safety standards, and adherence to safe working practices such as those guided by the Health and Safety Executive, and so on.

Generous idea on your part, but I suspect you'd really need to look into aspects such as that if you were to open your workshop in any form to those who want to use your machinery rather than you do the work for them whilst they wait (outside maybe?) for you to do the job for them. Slainte.
Don’t think we ever said we would let people loose on our equipment Richard, waiting outside might be a little bit OTT though. Ian

@Fanous I’m sorry you’re getting such a lot of grief over this, it seems very simple to me and I agree with you entirely. Help somebody along the way, always have and it’s never done me any harm and I have some really good friends who know they can ask me any time as I can them.
So yes I will join your database. Is this to be it or another thread? Ian

Thanks mate, probably here. I won't be doing another thread. No way :D

You clearly did not read the whole thread... I'm not going to repeat myself... Have a read first, then I'm happy to chat.

I’ve been helped out by other members on here for years, occasionally I can do something for them too.

I’ve borrowed tools from them, they’ve borrowed tools from me.

Would I help out someone local, yes. Would I help out anyone on this forum, no.

It’s totally up to you, you can be the person who helps others, or you can not be.

If you think HSE have a problem with this, I suggest you read their website.

I'm sorry to be dumb, what's HSE?

Health and Safety Executive.

Maybe I’m just used to living in a different world to you, but I’m feeling if you don’t know that, you might want to think again about your venture.

Thanks. I'm familiar with health and safety, just not that abbreviation.

You clearly did not read the whole thread... I'm not going to repeat myself... Have a read first, then I'm happy to chat.
I read the whole thread. You don't need to repeat yourself. I raised legitimate issues. Ignore them if you wish. The fact you didn't know what HSE stands for until a moment ago is telling for me. I'm not saying don't do what you plan; I'm saying make sure your ass is covered, but it's your choice. Slainte.

Back