Tool makers marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalbot

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a reasonably comprehensive list of tool makers marks available anywhere; preferably English. I find it interesting to find out who made what and when should I come across a tool with a mark on it. I've tried the usual google search, etc but there is just too much stuff to wade through.
thanks.
David

There's no single source as there are so many makers. Significant research pre-dates widespread use of the web, so is available in print rather than online (eg the standard work on British Planemakers).

One of the best online listings is on Wolfgang Jordan's website here - click on the stars and stripes to get much of the site in English.

http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/herstel ... uche.phtml

The whole site is a mine of information - once you have identified a maker, you will want to know more about the company - and so the interest spreads and grows!

Also, searching UKW (rather than the whole web) is often a good lead. Is there a particular category of tools you are interested in?

Thanks for that link. I'll have a browse.
There isn't any particular tools I have in mind although I have a mark on an old auger bit shaft that I would like to identify.
My thinking is that if it has a mark on it is should be of reasonable quality, compared to a lot of the rubbish monkey metal that is around now. Although I know that old makers did have second and third quality goods, I think that even they are going to be better than the stuff you find in the local hardware store ( if you still have one ) or the diy sheds. It's also part of the interest I suppose, to get a bit of the tools history/story. And I don't collect, I buy to use. So there still has to be some life left in the tools to warrant me purchasing and restoring them to useful condition.

"Trademarks on Base Metal Tableware" is also useful, as it includes many trademarks used by tool manufacturers (pdf is available online)

Back