Tool identification.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwercus

Established Member
Reaction score
Not so much identification as tool use. This is a ginormous Sash Clamp, by far the biggest I've seen. It measures over 7ft long and weighs in at 24.2kg, not far short of a half hundredweight in old money. It's made by Woden.
I would like opinions on it's intended use, I've heard that door framers use long Sash Clamps but this seems over-engineered for that purpose. The weight would make it unwieldy for one man to use. My own thoughts are Boatbuilding or Oak timber framing.
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG

Coach building, railway works, etc. plenty of heavy duty wood out there.
Also metalworking uses.

Bod
P.s thats a lightweight one, mine is a "T" bar version, much heavier.

Last edited:
Thats a decent size. Dont think you could find too many of those down the hardware store. There are some things that require big clamps. I made a queen bed some years ago and just could not buy clamps long enough. Had to make up a couple.
006.JPG
Regards
John

I was in a guys workshop the other day, he makes doors and windows, some of them on an industrial scale and there were at least a dozen huge long sash cramps like this hung up on his wall so yes they are available and they are in use.
And just in case anybody hasn’t twigged, you can’t do it with T bars but ordinary flat bars you can join them together to make longer ones. Ian

Back