Tool identification please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_vb36

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this is please, I found it in my father in-laws tool box, the handle is about 4 inches long and the blade is about 5 inches long, the left side of the blade looks like it could of been sharpened at some point, cheers! Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_0598 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0598 (640x480).jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 732
Dangermouse":1cjm5r3c said:
food chopper, used on stuff like salad , cellery etc.
Is that a guess? or is the genuinely what it's for? because it was in with his tools chisels ect I thought it had something to do with carpentry.

This is a guess, but it might be a bricklayer's tool, used for making a neat straight line in mortar, in what was called "tuck pointing." It could also be used on rendering, to make shallow indented lines to give the illusion of masonry blocks. There was a discussion of a similar tool in this thread but the picture has gone now.

It's a mortar jointer used when jointing puttied joints that tend to be ultra thin in comparison to standard joints. You typically find this type of jointing used on fine decorative brickwork and masonry.

The reason for the odd bend in the handle would be to allow the tool to run along a thickish piece of wood being used as a straight edge, while keeping the hand out of the way.

Back