Tool ID: telescopic sliding pointer burnisher thingy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this in a job lot of chisels and misc woodworking tools:
3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

The main section has another tube inside and slides out. The second part comes off, you turn it around and put it back in, the "pointer" seems to be a translucent plastic.

When extended it's the length of a pen. It's quite finely made, the metal's very thin so I guess it's not a heavy duty tool, or it might not be a tool at all,maybe more of a decorative item.

I don't think it's a woodworking tool so I've put this thread in the off-topic section.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,331
Is it a pointer for when giving a slide/power point presentation?
We would use a laser pointer these days.

Brian

Thanks all.

bugbear":2ajz8gun said:
I've not seen a retractable one like that, but it looks like an agate burnisher.
BugBear

I got this pic off Ebay of one where the tip comes off and slides back in the other way but without the telescopic bit:
Agate burnisher.jpg

Attachments

• Agate burnisher.jpg
    Agate burnisher.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,263
it looks like a centre punch to me, but with the end made of plastic, maybe it's supposed to be used on softer material at a guess? I have no idea.

JohnPW":j0bqvjkl said:
Thanks all.

bugbear":j0bqvjkl said:
I've not seen a retractable one like that, but it looks like an agate burnisher.
BugBear

I got this pic off Ebay of one where the tip comes off and slides back in the other way but without the telescopic bit:

So it's some kind of pocketable agate burnisher. New one on me (and I read a lot) I wonder what the (exact) purpose was?

BugBear

bugbear":16jsydpv said:
[
So it's some kind of pocketable agate burnisher. New one on me (and I read a lot) I wonder what the (exact) purpose was?

BugBear

Maybe the steel tube is mainly to protect the somewhat fragile agate tip from getting snapped off?

A bit like the 'point protectors' we used to have on school pencils - anyone else remember them?

AndyT":7067bcj5 said:
bugbear":7067bcj5 said:

BugBear

Maybe the steel tube is mainly to protect the somewhat fragile agate tip from getting snapped off?

A bit like the 'point protectors' we used to have on school pencils - anyone else remember them?

It's more reminiscent (to me) of something like the Starrett 70a scriber, where the point can be turned round.

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/produ ... ribers/70A

BugBear

Agate burnishers are for burnishing gold leaf. You need different shapes to get into nooks and crannies of carved work. Agate or flint can be made into suitable shapes and are hard enough not to get scratched - the slightest surface imperfection would scrag up the microscopically thin gold. In "Practical Woodcarving and Gilding" by Wheeler and Hayward there is this note:

'The stones are best set on wooden handles. Some are being produced today on metal handles which become uncomfortable after hours of burnishing. Two burnishers are enough for most work.'

So, John, if you want to take this gilding business seriously, I suggest you get rid of this one in with some old chisels, and shell out for the French things BB linked to! :lol: :wink:

I thought about an old Letraset burnisher too. But the one I had was just like a dip-pen handle, with a small beaded metal tip .
I think the consensus of a burnisher for gilding is the nearest thing. But what do I know? :D

Back