tool guarantees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just thinking about moving house and the possibility of building a timber framed 'shop, I thought I should maybe look for an air nailer, as I already have a decent compressor. I came across a DeWalt that looked quite neat, so I looked at the details.
- guarantees - DeWalt one year, Black &Decker two years. I wonder why that should be? - maybe they assume the DeWalt would be used harder, but they are at the premium end of the market and you'd presume they were better made.

IMHO brands that use guarantees as a marketting tool are the ones with reliability issues they are trying to get over.

Record have a 5 year guarantee - enough said? :wink:

Jon

Makes me smile. Black & Decker own DeWalt which they purchased the tool line from American Machine & Foundry in the early 1960's. Since then the Black & Decker tool line has steadily declined in quality. I don't think they have designed & marketed anything original since. If they want to expand their product line they simply buy out an existing Company.

Lee

All guarantees are 2 years according to EU law and pretty much all manufacturers will honour this without arguing as they know they will lose and get fined if you take it further.

Also the Sale Of Goods Act gives a 6 year guarantee from manufacturing and design faults and defects. But the SOGA only covers wear and tear for 12 months.

Normally you have to go to small claims court after 2 years but you will always win unless you broke it yourself. Most of the time large companies don't bother to turn up as its cheaper to just lose. Worth doing if the tool was something expensive though.

Personally I have been lucky with Black and Decker tools. My belt sander and random orbital sander were cheap and as good as new after lots of heavy use.

Dewalt seems to get a bit of stick nowadays but I have several of their products brought in the last year or so and I am well pleased with them.

Sale of goods act says that you have up to six years for redress about an item that fails, this depends on a number of conditions, eg. cost, quality, reasonable life expectancy etc. so a one year warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Andy

Back