Tool extension!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycktm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
After a bit of advice please........
Just built myself a router table, mounted the router to and tested a cutter in.
Ever thing was ok,but i decided i needed a collet extension to lessen the lift on the router. So i bought one from axminster put it in and tried a cutter in as well.Then i fired it up (slow speed) and the vibration was unreal table was walking round garage!!!! :shock: .The router is level,mounted solid.Before i send it back wonder if there's an answer?. Thank's.

Oh and hello every one :)

Hi Andy and welcome

Sounds like the extension wasn't properly balanced, although it might also be bearings (in part) or collet concenytricity/tightening. I use extensions on our CNC sometimes as well as on the router table, although only when they are absolutely necessary as they magnify the run-out in your bearings. BTW, what type of router was it? Does it run without too much vibration without the cutter in (but with the extension in the router) - remove the extension collet and nut to make that test - and is it just at the slowest speed or is it the same when running faster>

Scrit

Thank's for the reply scrit,
the router is the performance power pro magnesium ,its new solely for the table and it's silk without the extension panel cutter in :D.

I would have to agree that the extension is probably not balanced. I did some testing on a few extensions recently. The best one was a Trend like this:

Trend-Collet-Extension.jpg

I could detect no added vibration--the router ran as smooth with it as without.

I've also tested an extension called the Xtreme Xtension and found it vibrates like mad. Even after going through the procedure included in the instructions for minimizing vibration there was still quite a lot of it.

I had a budget router from the same manufacturer and it had a very slightly out of centre bore in the shaft. It is more likely that the cutter or extension is running off centre than simply out of balance in itself.
You could clamp a 12 inch length of straight 1/2 inch diameter steel rod in the router collet, preferably silver steel, rotate the shaft by hand and see if there is any measurable run-out at the very end of the rod. You could set up a fixed reference and use feeler gauges if you have no dial indicator. Do the same with the extension in. Any run-out in either collet or extension will make it very out of balance.
With a top range router you get precision machining engineered in. With budget routers you only get it by chance, IMHO. Same goes for the router bits. As soon as you put on an extender, any inaccuracy is multiplied.

Dave R":2nh1d8xc said:
I've also tested an extension called the Xtreme Xtension and found it vibrates like mad. Even after going through the procedure included in the instructions for minimizing vibration there was still quite a lot of it.
Hells teeth, Dave! Surely these things should come ready balanced? Surely collets/collet holders should be properly centred? Otherwise it's goodbye bearings and possibly something a little dearer to your person :shock:

The CNC extensions I use are Onsrud, whilst the router table has a Trend one

Scrit

If it's vibrating then something, somewhere, is not balanced. I have the Xtreme Xtension and it is excellent, smooth and easy, so if you have one that isn't it's either faulty or the router isn't up to the job. ANY extension is going to magnify any router imperfections in centricity.

Cutter extension is a demanding task. You need a good router, a good extension and good setup, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, I'm happy to know someone has had success with an Xtreme Xtension. I can't get mine routers to run smoothly with it although they do with the Trend extension and without any extension. I'm sure it isn't the routers and I wish it did work correctly. It is so much easier to insert bits into the XX.

Like Steve, I too have an Xtreme Xtension which I bought a few months ago from Rutlands and have it mounted in my Trend T11 in a table, and have no problems at all with vibration.

They are a great concept, better than extensions that still require you to use spindle lock and a spanner. As you use an allen key in a different plane you don't need to lock the spindle to use it. For me this is a great advantage as well as the extension being accessible above the table top.

It makes changing cutters as easy as it can be and is well worth the £50 or so if you do any significant anount of work with the table and router IMHO.

Having said all that it doesn't help with your current problem Andy, sorry !!!

I to have the XX and have it running perfectly :D I tried the trend extension and had a raised panel cutter vibrate itself loose :shock:
Dave maybe you have a faulty XX ?

Andy - I bought the product that you have, using it in a Dewalt 625. I didn't get the vibration that you mentioned, but it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked. Bought the Extreme Extention, very pricey, but no vibration plus easy to use above table. I got mine from The Woodworkers Workshop. Good and speedy service.

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum.

Can you borrow a brand name router, such as a DW625, to try in the table with the extension? This would prove, one way or the other, whether it's the router or the extension.

Cheers
Neil

There you go Dave, lots of happy users here. Sounds like yours must be faulty. You are very welcome to bring it over to my place and try it out on my setup!

:lol:

Cheers
Steve

Steve, you may be right about my having a defective unit. Too bad I didn't keep the invoice. I'd love to bring it over to your place to try it out. My passport is still current but I think SWMBO would have a cow if I bought myself a plane ticket for that. :D

I do have an Eliminator Chuck on both routers which works very nicely. (I took it off and used the OEM collet when I was testing the extensions.) It uses the same bit locking method.

Anoth thing about the XX is that it won't fit through the hole in the base plate of the Rat and I don't know if I want to go cutting things up for it.

Thank's for the replys.
Just tried a golf ball size moulding cutter in (roughly the same height as the extension) and it was very smooth.On comparison the extension on its own had a small amount of vibration.When i put any kind of cutter in the extension it went mad.
I think the extension must be slightly out of balance and any cutter in it = x10 :shock: .By the way the router must be electronic because it fires up,settles down and as you feed the work piece in it adjusts itself continually as the load varies.maybe the total length of the extension and cutter is too much for the machine design.I'll have to manage without.

ps the moulding cutter as got an :evil: look about it.

Andy , They are made to look :evil: so you dont put your fingers near them :lol:

Back