Tool Drool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I might have shared the occasional link to pictures of planes made by Wayne Anderson before? Anyway, he's finally got round to making a website, which I thought you might enjoy:

http://www.andersonplanes.com/

If anyone comes across any drool-worthy stuff, feel free to share it won't you? We can all at least dream... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Lovely looking stuff. I note however that all his planes seem to have no adjusters. I just can't get on with planes that have no adjusters - I have an HT Gordon ebony smoother that is lovely to look at and when I can actually get it set right, does great job on difficult woods. But, I would never buy another plane without an adjuster, till I learn the secret.

You must be an expert by now so if you care to share, please tell me how it's done..

Now there's some damn fine lookin fightin irons.....

don't tell me...lemme guess... Hockleyesque prices too....???

Luckily I don't know about prices, Mike, so I can't even get remotely tempted! :lol:

Chris, I'm no expert, trust me. What I do is sit the plane on a piece of hardwood, drop in the iron so it's resting firmly on the wood and then whack in the wedge/ tighten the lever cap or whatever. The action of doing that just advances the blade a little, and you get a fine set. For coarser stuff I just hold the blade to roughly where I want it and tighten up. I've never got on with the whole "tap the heel, tap the blade" thing I'm afraid. As long as you remember to allow for that extra advance of the blade when you tighten up it makes life much easier. FWIW.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
Thanks. Yes that is pretty much what I do. I have tried the heel and toe stuff but that works better for me in a sports car than my HNT Gordon. Mind you, it does give the ebony that well used look - no mistaking it for a collector's item anymore.

Latest posts

Back