Tool cupboard build (final update)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, W2S!! Like I said, this is just a working arrangement in a workshop, and not a display item. So long as it holds all my screws, nails and other bits and bobs, the bandsaw marks won't bother me in the slightest.

MikeG.":rbld10ae said:
Lons":rbld10ae said:
They're not tool cabinets Mike it's furniture!........

How very dare you!
Wasamarra with that? It's a compliment. :lol: :lol:

Mine are all in ready made drawers and cupboards salvaged from a college skip, bloody vandals but my gain as they're oak, plus wall cupboards from old kitchens.

My problem is the more cupboards I have the more I seem to need. #-o
This shows about 1/2 of them, I started sanding some of the doors and drawer fronts several years ago - never finished. :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 157
Lons":10aiyn5z said:
MikeG.":10aiyn5z said:
Lons":10aiyn5z said:
They're not tool cabinets Mike it's furniture!........

How very dare you!
Wasamarra with that? It's a compliment. :lol: :lol:........

I can't help but think of Waka's tool cabinet etc (at least, I think it was him). All beautifully finished hardwood and so on.......the ultimate nightmare for me in a workshop. I'd be frightened to use stuff like that, frightened of putting a tool down too heavily or, frightened of dinging it with a piece of wood. That's why "furniture" and "workshop" aren't a hugely positive combination in my eyes.

MikeG.":2jd7hes9 said:
I can't help but think of Waka's tool cabinet etc (at least, I think it was him). All beautifully finished hardwood and so on.......the ultimate nightmare for me in a workshop. I'd be frightened to use stuff like that, frightened of putting a tool down too heavily or, frightened of dinging it with a piece of wood. That's why "furniture" and "workshop" aren't a hugely positive combination in my eyes.
I admired that project as well Mike, beautiful piece.

What about calling it workshop furniture then?
Dovetails etc. deserve at least that. :)

Trivial update. I put the handles on and filled the parts bins:

3U5BJkH.jpg

XJysTMT.jpg

This involved hours and hours of sorting out screws and so on. "Do I chuck out these 2-1/2" black Japanned dome-headed slotted screws I haven't used in 25 years?".............

And I spent a whole day just cleaning and tidying the rest of the workshop. From this:

JC4BnPN.jpg

To this:

0qilRYP.jpg

So that's it. Done. No more posts on my workshop. I've sorted out my timber racks and storage and will be starting on an unusual stair build in the next week or so. Now that I've created the space I am looking forward to using it properly.

SammyQ":2ddtwo7q said:
Jings Bob, that is some place! Nice bit of recycling.

Sam
It's just a double garage Sam, organised chaos! :lol:

The cupboards were a lucky find for me though I was furious at the waste at the time. I got a call asking if I wanted any as they had been ripped out of a college science lab and standing out in the rain. I got what I wanted but less than half of them as I just couldn't store them at the time, wish I had found the space for the lot as they were skipped in the end I understand.
Solid oak drawer fronts, door and face frames and oak faced blockboard carcases, they could easily have sold them for college funds. :roll:

Looks good mike

My wall cabinet is made out of a staking pallet frames and some scraps from refurbishing the old kitchen. Not as nice as yours but functional. I used the hinged corners off the pallet frames as the hinges for the doors.

I can barely see my bench. My bench also has drawers from a chemistry lab that was stripped out and skipped.

Amazing what gets skipped - I got my Harrsion M300 metal lathe from a high school that was getting refurbished that I was working on - they dumped all the tooling though.

jimmy_s":v80mz7oh said:
Looks good mike

My wall cabinet is made out of a staking pallet frames and some scraps from refurbishing the old kitchen. Not as nice as yours but functional. I used the hinged corners off the pallet frames as the hinges for the doors.

I can barely see my bench. My bench also has drawers from a chemistry lab that was stripped out and skipped.

Amazing what gets skipped - I got my Harrsion M300 metal lathe from a high school that was getting refurbished that I was working on - they dumped all the tooling though.
The amount of waste drives me nuts and I've salvaged where I can over the years, I guess that's why I have so much "stuff".

Apparently if I get within arms length of a skip I'll suffer a fate worse than death according to swimbo. :shock:

We moved house and I lost out on workshop space - the new workshop is the garage I can hardly move for stuff. I need to build a new workshop but there's so much to be done on the house I can't get to it. Despite all that I came across a morso guillotine in a skip on one the the sites I'm working on a few weeks ago. I couldn't find the arm off it but Couldn't let it get scapped so I went in after it and rescued it. Its now in my garage taking up the little bit of space I have left. I don't really have a use for it but felt it was a crime just to let it go to the dump.

jimmy_s":3a7109p7 said:
We moved house and I lost out on workshop space - the new workshop is the garage I can hardly move for stuff. I need to build a new workshop but there's so much to be done on the house I can't get to it. Despite all that I came across a morso guillotine in a skip on one the the sites I'm working on a few weeks ago. I couldn't find the arm off it but Couldn't let it get scapped so I went in after it and rescued it. Its now in my garage taking up the little bit of space I have left. I don't really have a use for it but felt it was a crime just to let it go to the dump.
A man after my own heart. =D>

Looking good Mike, and some interesting design's.....looking forward to the staircase build....a few years back, before I discovered forums I made my first cut string staircase....took a lot of head scratching and looking at old books.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Looking at your new space, "Beautiful Wasteland" springs to mind.
How will you find anything, if you can't see it?
[youtube]-nUkqYlUhfU[/youtube]

MikeG.":21wvt6w5 said:
This involved hours and hours of sorting out screws and so on. "Do I chuck out these 2-1/2" black Japanned done-headed slotted screws I haven't used in 25 years?".............

As soon as you chuck them out someone will come in the next week asking, "Have you got any screws like these?" #-o

Back