Tool cupboard build (final update)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
samhay":2lhyog2v said:
Very nice.
You seem to be missing a spokeshave though.

Well spotted. I've got two flat bottomed spokeshaves, and am on the lookout for one with a curved bottom. Sod's law, I'll end up with 2!

Surely that's what all the drawers are for?

p.s. does the cupboard help at all with the noise from the vacuum cleaner?

Steve Maskery":1xe3ysd6 said:
....Don't tell me, cheapskate and proud of it? :).....

I destroyed 3 cameras in a year on the building site, so went for a cheap fixed focal length bomb-proof child's camera, which has....erm.........limitations.

samhay":1go7zw6t said:
Surely that's what all the drawers are for?

Well, yes....but they're just about full already.

p.s. does the cupboard help at all with the noise from the vacuum cleaner?

Amazingly. I'm really surprised. I thought it might act as a drum with all that thin ply in the door, and was half thinking I might need to insulate. I don't have any means of measuring, but it's made a hell of a difference. The damn hose is a foot short of reaching the far end of my bench, though.

>Amazingly. I'm really surprised. ...

Good to know. Will continue with my plans of doing something similar.

I know you're a tool Spartan Mike, but you've still got more saws and screwdrivers than I have...and I started in 1974...just sayin' :-"

Sam

The saws were a bit of an Ebay accident. I left a couple of bids on before I went away, hoping to maybe win one. I ended up with three. They're awaiting restoration and new handles.

I know, I know. The thing is, I'm buying quite a few tools for my son in law, who has taken up woodworking, and this has led to some over-spill.

Hey Steve? I reckon it won't be long before MikeG starts referring to it as his "hand tool station"...then the bench will be his "primary work station" and... :D

Sam, ducking and running away VERY fast, as he remembers throwing things quickly and accurately was a primary necessity of MikeG's previous profession...

SammyQ":29d4h3k3 said:
.......throwing things quickly and accurately was a primary necessity of MikeG's previous profession...

My team-mates used to fall about laughing if I ever threw the ball. They'd suggest I went and asked my wife to do it for me.

:D :D Not in the same league of course, but my team-mates in the school 2nd XV would rarely include me in a running move; second row forwards were - in their eyes - "not built for speed..." :?

Sam

Sorry, sorry.....I know how desperate you've all been to see my nail-and-screw storage bins. I've been a bit slow with them, but although not finished, there's enough done to show a few photos. I sawed up a whole of of ply off-cuts, ran a groove along the front and back, and glued a few bits together:

Txix0sl.jpg

I00aUib.jpg

CP1WF5k.jpg

I then wanted to hot-melt glue the intermediate compartment dividers in, so that they could be moved in future if I found they were in the wrong place> Unfortunately, this piece of junk just refused to feed glue out:

kVDJ2SG.jpg

I decided instead to silicon in the "loose" didviders, in the hope that this would be more easily removable than PVA. In hindsight, I think PVA would have been better:

lbbhP4F.jpg

Here they are in situ, albeit on temporary hinges (nails):

xPpNoxW.jpg

w7vKN1Q.jpg

So tomorrow they all come off again, and the proper pivot will be fixed in place. A handle/ knob/ finger-pull will also be fitted. A nice feature of these containers is that they just slot out if you wanted to take them elsewhere. I was going to stick a sample of the contents onto the front with hot-melt glue, but that will have to wait until I've bought a new gun.

I like those a lot. Will keep dust and other carp out and easy access too. Plans for labeling them? One thing I like about systainers are the wee card slots that can take laminated print outs. Makes it real easy to swap things around and you can colour code the cards.

Those are extremely cool storage bins. The 'crinkle cut' effect on the dividers would offend my delicate sensibilities every time I opened one though ..... 8) :shock:

Back