Tool Chests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of plans for what I would call an Engineers Tool Chest, just like the one on the Tool Box page. Failing that does anyone know of one for sale ??

Bean
Chestless !! :cry:

How about this one, I've not made one.
Build A Classic Wooden Tool Box
I just followed the link for free plans from the links page on this site. :shock:
OK so you will need to cut the tenons using hand tools or router, the plans are from the states so show the dreaded dado blade in use. :twisted:

Ho that is very nice, makes me want to make one :D
I can't keep up will all the projects I want to do :roll:

Bean,

There are plans for a classic "Gerstner" style chest in "The Toolbox Book" (like this), and a slightly simpler version very like the one on the Tool Box page in "The Small Woodshop - The Best of Fine Woodworking". On line, it's just a case of searching for "tool box", "tool chest", "patternmaker's tool box/chest", "engineer's tool box/chest" and maybe throw in Gerstner, wood and/or plans too occasionally.

As for buying one, there was a guy selling new Chinese (I think) knock offs on Ebay not long ago. Yeah, here we are. Or you could try second hand, also on Ebay, from dealers or ads in the local paper. They're not cheap though. In fact there's one advertised in my local today; £110! Including contents mind you, but that could mean anything. DAMHIKT :? Rusty spanners anyone? :(

Cheers, Alf

Who's been a little tool chest obsessed recently :oops:

:D Thanks all.
Alf I saw one recently at a Model Engineers Show for £100 and it was empty !
Still I've got all the clocks and spanners (non rusty) that I will ever need.

Bean

:oops: Forgot to login :oops:
Alf the finger pull thingy's are stocked by my local hardware store if I understand what you mean. Are they rectangular in shape with a circular finger pull handle, hinged at the top, which folds flat into the rectangular piece when closed ?

If so I could supply you one by post, they are if my memory serves me right less than £2 each.

Bean

Bean,

Nope, it's no good. I know exactly what you're describing, but I can't for the life of me think why I'd need one. :? Have I gone and written something and forgotten about it again? :oops: Never mind, thanks for the generous offer anyway!

Cheers, Alf
Surely too young for the effects of those aluminium pans to have kicked in already?!

I feels pangs of loss viewing these chests.
When I started learning toolmaking in the early 60s my father worked with a guy who was getting married & needed every penny & was selling his kit (what an silly person!). He bought me a relatively new tool chest, like those shown, a 0-1" micrometer, various inside & outside capipers & dividers. I left my tool chest with my brother when I returned from South Africa in 1975 & my micrometer was stolen from my chest on my last day there. I still have the calipers & dividers which are as good as new. I had fitted a brass front to the lock with brass screw heads filed off to prevent tampering & had a vulcanised rubber top to protect that from damage. I inherited my fathers toolmakers cabinet from his aprentice days & oil it yearly. I still miss my own cabinet though :cry:

Dewy I also wanted one when I was an apprentice, the year I started was the first year the company didnt supply those wonderful Tool Chests by Moore & Wright, and being a poorly paid apprentice with an expensive love affair in the shape of a Ducati....I never quite managed to buy one !
Now they seem to be as rare as hens teeth and as expensive as rocking horse manure !!

I guess I will just have to make one !!
More fun in the Workshop !!!!!!

Bean

The only flaw with mine, when I was forced to give it up (it weighed 10 kilo & my cases weighed 20kilo), was the green felt drawer liners looking tatty from years of use. The only thing wrong with my fathers is that he lost the key & it's left open now.
Now I no longer work & have taken up woodworking I hope to build a wall mounted chest for my hand tools. That will test my skills. :lol:

Back