Tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
Ciao,
In recent times I did not post much, however here it is my last work. I needed a case for my hand tools and always had the wish of building a traditional tool chest.
I used silver fir for the box and drawers, beech for the skirts. Finishing is casein tempera (milk paint) and linseed oil diluted with mineral spirit (50%).
Giuliano:)

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

Also I took a short video:

Attachments

• DSC_0127.JPG
    DSC_0127.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 13
Very nice workmanship, the drawers slide beautifully. But where to keep it? I think I would want it bolted down to prevent anybody stealing it and all the tools in it. Ian

The interior fitting is just wonderful. Wonderful.

Last edited:
very practical! I particularly like the fittings for the auger bits and the amount of tools that can fit inside the lid.

can't fault the build, or the finish, beautiful.

That said I can't understand the appeal of big chests, lots of weight, awkward to store, lots of unpacking to get anything out.

horses for courses.

lovely work

Terrific craftsmanship. I very much admire these old fashioned chests, where everything has a place, and there is a place for everything. In the great age of handcrafted cabinet making, these chests (often works of art in their own right) were made by individual craftsmen, and kept in their place of work. The problem with them is that they are not easily moved around, (and in their heyday they didn’t need to be). This does not detract from the skill in design and exceptional craftsmanship displayed in Giulano’s chest. A real tour de force.

Last edited:
Mizziga che bello. C'e' ancora spazio la sotto per un altro paio delle pialle!

Ho notato che Lei ha le sege tipo Iapponese, e non quelle, diciamo, piu European? O sono un tipo Neapolitane?
cmq davvero un buon lavoro. Complimenti da Dublino.

slightly off topic but I enjoyed looking at your website, found the article about pinch dogs interesting, must try that, especially useful when the clamps are running low, one suggestion, I have found in the past that those fencing staples go in easier if they are tapped parallel or even slightly pointing together, that might be effective and quicker than regrinding the points / bevels
http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.com/2015/01/pinch-dogs.html#comment-form

Mizziga che bello. C'e' ancora spazio la sotto per un altro paio delle pialle!

Ho notato che Lei ha le sege tipo Iapponese, e non quelle, diciamo, piu European? O sono un tipo Neapolitane?
cmq davvero un buon lavoro. Complimenti da Dublino.
Grazie Cassidy,
Sì sono seghe di tipo giapponese, quelle che uso più spesso.
Saluti

slightly off topic but I enjoyed looking at your website, found the article about pinch dogs interesting, must try that, especially useful when the clamps are running low, one suggestion, I have found in the past that those fencing staples go in easier if they are tapped parallel or even slightly pointing together, that might be effective and quicker than regrinding the points / bevels
http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.com/2015/01/pinch-dogs.html#comment-form
Thanks, I always use pinch dogs while gluing up panel under 1 cm of tickness. I’ll try your suggestion, it seems
to me rigth.

Beautiful work. My first thought when I saw it was chest to put ashes in - on a much smaller scale obviously

Back