Tool chest challenge - shaves and drawknives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
On a roll here, and as there's only one pic:

normal_shaves.jpg

12" Marples drawknife with egg-shaped handles and 8" modern German "Ox Head".
Stanley #151, Stanley #53 adjustable throat, Stanley #51, Preston adjustable, Veritas low angle, Rapier round soled, beech plated with curved sole, Veritas kit. A guide to Stanley spokeshaves can be found here.

This is proving very hard to decide about. I can find good arguments to hold on to virtually all of them :oops: so you're thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers, Alf

You're not making this easy, are you... :cry:
How about keeping the long drawknife, the #53, the Veritas LA, the rapier and the Veritas kit (after the effort you put into this, it's gotta stay!)
Also, perhaps purchase the Bogg's pair, as your spokeshave collection is lacking any Philly-style gloats :D :wink:

Alf,
Aragorn is spot on re the Boggs pair. Anyway from the ones you have (You need to trade some chisels for shave methinks) I'd go with the big drawknife - it just looks nicer, your new Veritas shave, the round soled one and maybe the Preston

I did have a bit of a fiddle with the Bogg's at Tools '04, and, erm, I wasn't much grabbed. I didn't get to actually make shavings with it of course, but it didn't feel at all right. Same reasons as the Veritas ones I think; I just don't like the round handles. :( Works out economical, but also means I'm a bit stuffed when it comes to quality modern metal spokeshaves. :roll:

Oh, should have mentioned that I'm asking for another Veritas kit for my birthday to make a round-soled version (all being well), which perhaps needs to be taken into consideration too. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":22plxl19 said:
(snip)
Oh, should have mentioned that I'm asking for another Veritas kit for my birthday to make a round-soled version (all being well), which perhaps needs to be taken into consideration too. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

When's your birthday...? (maybe I'll send an 05P0601... :twisted: :p :p )

One thing you could try is using the custom handle kit we offer for our shaves - and instead of turning round handles - mount blocks and, using another spokeshave, shape them however you like....!

If you want to try it - I'd be glad to set you up....

Cheers -

Rob

I wish you wouldn't do that! I say something nasty and you come back at me with determined and relentless niceness! It's not fair. :roll:

Rob Lee":31fxznuq said:
maybe I'll send an 05P0601...
ROTFL! :lol: Hang on, scrub the niceness comment... :wink:

Rob Lee":31fxznuq said:
One thing you could try is using the custom handle kit we offer for our shaves - and instead of turning round handles - mount blocks and, using another spokeshave, shape them however you like....!
I had looked into it earlier funnily enough - but it had slipped my mind. :shock: I was a bit concerned the threaded nature of the handles meant shaping them in situ was the only option - with all the possibilites of making a total hash of it in consequence. In other words, cowardice set in again before I did anything about it. :oops: Bit of a tempting offer that one, Rob... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3s0jxque said:
(snip)

ROTFL! :lol: Hang on, scrub the niceness comment... :wink:

(snip)

Well... I've always wanted to use the " :twisted: " emoticon...but just never had an appropriate opportunity...glad you took it the way it was meant!

I don't think the threading would be an issue... the screw pitch is steep enough that there won't be any rotational registration issues (say that five times quickly!)...

If you have the time and desire to try...I'm game.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":1o7tn894 said:
If you have the time and desire to try...I'm game.

As I am occasionally reminded by the Mods " We are trying to run a Family Show here!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob Lee":3fknanty said:
I don't think the threading would be an issue... the screw pitch is steep enough that there won't be any rotational registration issues (say that five times quickly!)...
Do what??? :shock: :? Interpreter! Interpreter needed here! :D

As per email, the fish is hooked and you're on. Or I'm on. Or something. Now that's probably a mixed metaphor...

Take your mind out of the gutter, Christopher. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":204mr9bk said:
Rob Lee":204mr9bk said:
Do what??? :shock: :? Interpreter! Interpreter needed here! :D

As per email, the fish is hooked and you're on. Or I'm on. Or something. Now that's probably a mixed metaphor...

Take your mind out of the gutter, Christopher. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf -

Just an obfuscatory way of saying the handles would probably line up allright - even after removal... I'll eschew phrasing things that way in the future... :wink:

Cheers -

Rob
(and Chris...my wife reads this board :shock: :shock: !) :lol:

Rob Lee":2xmip9xd said:
Just an obfuscatory way of saying the handle's would probably line up allright - even after removal... I'll eschew phrasing things that way in the future... :wink:
The lucidity of that clarification is beyond reproach.

<Groucho Marx>It's so far beyond reproach as to have come full circle and approached condemnation via the back door... <waggle eyebrows, wave cigar in comical fashion etc> :wink: :lol:

But I get it. I think...

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
Sorry for being on-topic, but I can't see any particular one I'd get rid of if I had them all. Heck you can even fit them into one picture! Gotta have a few spares to keep the work going when a blade gets dull, not to mention the feel and working characteristics which lends each one to a particular kind of work...I'd say keep em.
Or if you really have to get rid of a few, send me some, or use the time frame method: which ones haven't you used in the last five years? That should tell you what to keep. If there's one that you really want to keep that doesn't fit in, just expand the time frame at will. Don'T use the future time-frame method (which ones will I need in the next five years) because then you'll find yourself buying a few more.
I guess this is no help at all,
Frank

Frank D.":1is2kini said:
If there's one that you really want to keep that doesn't fit in, just expand the time frame at will.
:lol: LOL
Must remember this method! Excellent!

Frank D.":62wwi37y said:
Don'T use the future time-frame method (which ones will I need in the next five years) because then you'll find yourself buying a few more.
So that's where I've been going wrong... :roll: :lol: Mmm, actually that's quite helpful, Frank - not quite sure why, but it is.

One of my main problems is the Preston. It's a lovely shave, it really is, but I'm seriously considering selling it. The only thing holding me back is the certainty that I'll never see another one I can afford if I get a serious case of regrets. :? And then the Stanley #53 was a certainty to go until I actually got it working just before I took the picture and it made some lovely fine shavings... :oops: Okay, the #151 is definitely going to go, and the beech one - if the iron's not too knackered for the fussy buying public... The #51 goes back on my Dad's pile (did I mention I'm getting together a kit of stuff for him too?) for sentimental reasons (he had it from new when he was 8 - aaaah). But what about the other #51...? (not shown) Well that came with the chest, so it can go back in. :wink: The LN low angle is too useful to do without, and the kit one is actually really nice to use. :p The Rapier, as well as being the only round soled shave I have, was an extremely thougtful gift and would earn its place for that alone. Anyway it goes with the Veritas. :wink: How many definites is that? Four? And mainly low angle ones too. Better stick the #53 in there then, just to even things up a bit.

The big drawknife is a definite. But am I going to wish I had a smaller one if I sell it...? Any thoughts from drawknife users?

Cheers, Alf

Sounds like we've come to the same solution on this one?
Not sure if you've mentioned this elsewhere, but are you planning on getting rid of the tools that don't go in the chest, as in actually selling them???

Aragorn":11id9abj said:
Not sure if you've mentioned this elsewhere, but are you planning on getting rid of the tools that don't go in the chest, as in actually selling them???
Probably. Some of them, anyway. Some, while not rating tool chest status, will qualify as workshop stand-bys/seldom used specials.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Re the drawknife. I have a medium sized one (Fulton with overall width 15 inches and an 8 inch blade), also a small Pfeil one just about half the size. I prefer the large one and in use, I don't encounter many situations where the smaller one is necessary on account of its size. Also at that sort of size one is getting into spokeshave territory as far as width is oncerned.

Latest posts

Back