Tool Chest Challenge proposal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, the tool chest builders are Alberto and Simon and they were/are going to build Gerstner-type chests. I think they were trying to play down the "build off" aspect 'cos Alberto already orded the timber while Si was still debating drawer depths.

Ahh..

I asked cos I've a tool cabinet in progress; wall mounted, double doors, drawers are an option I guess but not what I'd intended... I've had to set it aside for now to get on with a paying job...

Hi Alf,

Once you have the list and the box is full, please forward all you surplus tools to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So my suggestion is that you have a trip to B & Q to fill the box, please :p :p .

all the best

Neil

Tony":3q1oepaa said:
Set of chisels (LN naturally :wink: )

Nah, japanese - set of oire nomi, and set of paring ones (can't remember the japanese word for them, other than it's got nomi in it :D)

+ waterstone?

Interesting - does sharpening come into the tool chest, or stay at a dedicated sharpening station? Perhaps a leather strop rather then a stone, for touching up during the day, with beginning/end of day spent at the sharpening station putting the proper edge back on whatever's been used?

Back saw for tenons, panel saw, coping saw (dovetails) and dovetail saw

Again, Japanese saws as alternatives or additions to European ones. I'd go for piercing saw + jewellers blades instead of the coping saw, if just for dovetail waste clearance. Coping saw if used for cutting curvy edges...

See - personal preference on a lot of that; European vs. Japanese, or combinations of the 2!

I'd add a spokeshave (the new Veritas build-yer-own, or a Clifton).

Something with a bit of a curve in it might be a suitable project for this I think, even if it is just a curved front on a box (it also makes my spokeshave suggestion very useful! :wink: )

For the list (if everyone agrees..............) why not keep it brand or type non-specific? Rather than LN chisels, or Oire Nomi, or Henry Taylor, etc., lets just leave it at chisels. Likewise planes, or anyother tool. Does it matter if the bevel is Joseph Marples or Footprint? As well a jack plane (get ready for sacrilege...) is a jack, regardless of type the fucntion is the same.

Cheers,

Regan

Regan
I agree with you-for the moment lets get the list together, forget about brands until we have something solid.
Cheers
Philly :D

Regan":ec6fnwfr said:
why not keep it brand or type non-specific? Rather than LN chisels, Regan

Regan

Brand specific here as Alf has a set of LN chisels and it is her box after all! :lol:

Regan":hy50gywy said:
For the list (if everyone agrees..............) why not keep it brand or type non-specific?
As it has to be tools I already own, the list will inevitably end up brand specific to some degree, just to make them easier to identify which is meant. But certainly it might be worth making clear when it's a choice based on type, or whether the brand really was the deciding issue.

Cheers, Alf

I hope dragging this up to the fore again isn't going to invoke painful memories of a moment of workshop madness :roll: ... but what's happened to this proposal Al??
Is it still on? (Don't seem to have seen any developments recently?)

Who unusually seems to be having a "Handtool Friday" moment himself

Well I may have rethought a bit :oops: , but if anyone's interested I can do a few pics over the weekend - now the w'shop's in reasonably workable order again. Any preferences for the next catergory? Chisels? Planes? Shaves and drawknives? 'ammers and uvver stuff for hitting fings wiv? Is there any point in boring you all with boring? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Next catagory... Hmmm. Guessing planes will take a few months, so maybe get on with that :wink:
But then, I'm in the market for a new dovetail saw, so, purely being selfish here, I'd vote for Saws.

There. Decisive and inquisitive in one afternoon. If only I was in the workshop :oops:

Alf,

Any of those would be interesting.

It would be nice if you could take piccies of your growing compilation laid out on the bench so we can see how its progressing - just a thought.

Oooo So sorry Alf. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I was paying attention at the time, promise!
I did actually mean CHISELS, as I'm in the market for a set. Sheesh - shopping list is clearly too long for my own good.

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I have been going back and reading posts I think I will be interested in. What is the status of the Tool Chest Challenge? I am in the process of rebuilding a c.1900 tool chest to better suit my needs. I am also in the process of looking for more old tools to stock it. :) I haven't seen any posts about boring tools yet. I have some long auger bits I want to put in to drill chair bottoms. In addition to a regular brace and bits I will put in a egg-beater drill and push drill. The way my tool chest is made I think I'm going to put in a couple of removable totes instead of sliding tills. I'll try to get some photos taken this weekend. :)

Welcome to the forum, Gary.

Well it's kinda gone on hold a bit; sort of waiting for the next lull in proceedings to some extent. And also any sign of interest. (Now you've done it... 8-[ :lol: ) Feel free to kick off the next group of tools; we got as far as these so far, as you probably found in the archive.

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":1pjxdhiq said:
In this case I prefer the less is more option of a set of H&Rs.
How's that less? I'd need another tool chest to hold them. :lol:

I will get round to the planes some time, honest I will. It's just rather a formidable task... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Back