Tool Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Well, finally got around to making a plane cabinet as I was so fed up with having them in drawers, on shelves and on the workbench :roll: After a lot of research and once my jaw was re-located after seeing Chris waterhead's cabinet :shock: :shock: :shock: , I decided on a simply design in the same style as Philly's.

Initially I intended to add doors to carry chisels and marking kit but am now not so sure as I think they will take up too much space - thus I mounted the chisels inside. I think I'll make another small one with a saw till in it and a place to hold marking gear + hammer and mallet. Probably add a drawer to that one for spare plane irons etc.

95% (had to thickness it) of the work was hand tool as befits a hand tool storage unit :D

How long? Well, I thicknessed the wood 11 days ago and spent an hour every other evening on it as well as 3-4 hours each weekend day. Under 30 hours.

I pre-finished the pieces with Danish oil before glue-up for the first time ever and I like this approach - think I'll pre-finish much more often.

Construction is hand cut dovetails on the main case (I think hand cutting dovetails is the most fun you can have with wood - note to self, get out more) with the dividers being located with biscuits and screws through the back to allow me to change the configuration at a later date should, ahem, the need arise!!

I fixed it ot the wall with two french cleats.

Wood is some African Mahogany for the frame and Oak for the rest - just stuff that was lying around.

Work in progress shots are here to keep this thread as small as possible

Pictures worth a thousand words so......

Full_Front.jpg

Full_Left.jpg

Full_Right.jpg

Empty_cabinet.jpg

Woo-Hoo! Nice work Tony! \:D/
Knocked that one out fast (compared to your last project :wink: )
Looks really nice (although the double BUJ gloat is TOO much :roll: )
Keep up the good work
Philly :D

Philly":2p49hscq said:
Looks really nice (although the double BUJ gloat is TOO much :roll: )

Philly :D

That one was specifically for you too :lol:

Tony,
I'll probably regret asking... but why the need for two BUJs?

I am curious about that chisel storage. Is it possible to remove the chisels at the back without removing those at the front and/or without risk of knocking the edges?

Andy

Tony

Very nice - well done.

Tony":2y8upx35 said:
I pre-finished the pieces with Danish oil before glue-up for the first time ever and I like this approach - think I'll pre-finish much more often.

Applied by roller?:wink:

Cheers

Tim

Newbie_Neil":3rg4utu3 said:
Hi Tony

It looks really good, but there is a problem.

Just where do you put your next purchase? :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Good question!

I just won a #50 combination plane on ebay :roll:

Of course, there are too many Stanley and Records in there.......

dedee":16sq1eo9 said:
Tony,
I'll probably regret asking... but why the need for two BUJs?

I am curious about that chisel storage. Is it possible to remove the chisels at the back without removing those at the front and/or without risk of knocking the edges?

Andy

Andy, not a need as such .
What happened is that I was a tester for the prototype BUJ and gave loads of feedback to LV and when the production models appeared, I received one as 'payment for services rendered', thus 2 planes (one prototype and one production model). They have differnet blade angles (25 and 38 ) in, so both are used regularly

As for the chisels, yes, I can remove from the back without taking the front chisel out first. I knocked up a rough prototype and hacked it around to make sure of this

A very productive spell, Tony.
I love the tool cabinet - and your tenoning jig puts my four pieces of wood screwed together in the shade!
Love being able to see so many pictures of the construction too.
Stewart

Very nice, Tony. You have got too many planes however and can't possibly use them all properly. In recent studies it has been shown that unused planes pine after a period of non-use and go into a gradual state of decline.

This is why I have set up the HUMP charity - the Home for Unused and Mistreated Planes. So please be generous and send these poor ill-used planes to me for attention and loving care. Our volunteers (OK - me) will put these to very good use and make them feel, once more loved and cherished. :D

Back