Tool Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
It is so long ago that I mentioned building this that I thought a small update was in order. Everything that could go wrong has done so and even though it feels like a lifetime, I am surprised it has got this far. It is essentially a copy of the Andy Rae tool cabinet featured all over the web. My troubles started right with trying to copy something else - I have much better luck with my own plans!

It is essentially post and panel construction with veneered panels ( I have been using 1.5mm thick veneer on 12 mm ply substrate and the pull of this buckled crotch veneer has been really vicious. One lower door is a little warped but three others were put in the trash before I discovered how to apply the veneer without making a pretzel of the door. Fortunately I had just enough veneer to complete what you see so far.

I have had to build it up in the shop, it is so large it started being used to a degree from the moment the frame was constructed - had to earn its space! That is why you see the doors and cock beading unfinished for example. Next come all the inside drawers - a whole bank of 20 or so in the top cabinet under the shelf - also plane cubbies etc etc. etc. I update you when it's finished , next year with a bit of luck!

DSC_3381_001.jpg

DSC_3379_001.sized.jpg

Chris
It certainly is looking fantastic!!! :shock:
That veneer is going to be worth the hassle!
Look forward to seeing how it comes out,
cheers
Philly :D

chris i noticed philly never even mentioned that little plane hiding in that nice tool cabinet 8) 8)

errr kev i think a gust of wind must have blew the door open just as he took the piccy :wink: 8) 8)

Chris

It's looking great so far. That mahogany might be a pain but it certainly has the "Wow" factor! 8)

Can't wait to see it finished

Not saying a word about the S&S gloat! :lol:

Very, very tasty, Mr K. :D That crotch veneer may have driven you crazy but oh brother, what a sight to behold. Lovely jubbly. =D> =D> =D> =D> That manky old plane has a home that's gonna be worthy of it all right. :wink: Just need a home worthy of the tool cabinet now... May I be the first to offer re-homing facilities? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

HI,

Wonderful job, having the tools in such a nice cupboard really encourages you to keep the workshop space in a tidy way.

cheers,
jon.

Thanks everyone,

Yes, when it's finished, it should provide a worthy home for that little plane - and Alf, if I ever have to give it up, I shall definitely think of you :wink:

Waka, yes I did vacuum the veneer but the way I feel at the moment it will be too soon if I never have to do another piece! Just to give you a clue, nearly 10 litres of glue have been used so far in the veneering! (Mind you the sidea nd the back and internal tops/bottomsa are all veneered too, albeit with stuff that was much easier than the crotch veneer).

Chris,

It looks fantastic. The mahogany is stunning. To think that you were going to have an extractor pipe in the bottom of it!.....:roll:

What does the shell look like - ie with all the doors open?

Cheers

Tim

I was beginning to wonder what you've been up to in your workshop. Now I see. It may be a labour of love, but it's certainly going to be something everyone will love when it's finished.

If you want some help choosing handles, just ask Philly :wink: .

Gill

Chris

Its beautiful.
But its like Trev said, Me thinks its too nice to be in the shop.
Build one of of MDF for the shop. :lol: :lol:

Travis

Chris, it's all already been said. Superb and that veneer really sets it off so well. An absolute masterpiece :shock:

A thing of beauty, Chris.

When it's been finished a few months I'm sure you'll enjoy the warm gloatable feeling more than the memory of the pain. After all, if we're allowed to gloat over a simple tool acquisition (and we are!) how great the gloat of seeing a project like that through to completion. :D

Latest posts

Back