Tool Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking really good Chris. You are going to have to do something about the brickwork next - how about some panelling?

The carving looks pretty impressive too. Is that for anything - or practise, practise, practise?

Cheers

Tim

Chris, the cabinet looks magnificent.

We would like to see more of the carving. Are you enjoying the classes?

Andy

tim the brick work looks ok its that roll of loo paper that scares me :( :cry: ouch ,
chris the cab looks brill,

frank

That toilet roll on the r/h side of your last picture has got me worried :D

Can I say anymore?

Sorry Frank I have just seen your posting.

Thanks for the encouragement guys - I will get it finished one day!
Philly, glad you like the rasps - they look so innocent don't they?

Tim, panelling would eat into my space and that is thus a no-no. I might just get around to painting it white when I have finished the cabinet - at least that is my plan. The cabinet will store stuff that is presently on walls and so help to clear patches for painting.

Frank, that 240 grit loo paper leaves your bum as smooth as a baby's - try it sometime :lol:

The carving that I am trying to do is the one in the old picture below. I am finding it darn hard but the instructor at my carving class (local adult education class) is very good and giving me lots of good advice. I haven't yet persuaded him to do any actual carving for me but I am working on it! The main difficulty for me is visualising exactly how the thing is supposed to look in 3D. As for the hands I carved, I have resorted to a plasticine model to help.
Vine_motif1.sized.jpg

DSC_3474.sized.jpg

Chris,
Can you give me some details on that carving clamp/holder you are using? I know someone who could well make use of a gadget like that.

thanks

Andy

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

'Nuff said.

Cheers, Alf

Whitehad37
after the facetious remarks concerning the loo roll, can you please advise me if you use the abrasive roll for belting. If so how do you cope with joining the ends together?

Thought I had better update this thing. All I need to do now is to carve the handles for the outer doors/drawers..

Finishing has been a pain. There is so much luster in the mahogany that viewed from different angles, the rails and stiles were changing from light to dark and looked like completely different woods - taking on a sort of patchwork quilt effect. I calmed it down by using a pigmented stain which has helped and since there wasn't a great deal of figure in the carcase posts, rails and stiles etc. didn't obscure anything important. The veneered panels of course I didn't treat this way!

The internal drawers are all dovetailed, the ripple fronts are veneer I sawed myself from a board that wasn't large enough to do all the drawers so I re-sawed 1/8 inch thick slices and made up the fronts that way. The pulls are all carved from ebony - they are actually curved although that is hard to see here.

The arrangement for the planes in the top section is still under review until I decide what really works best.

At least I can now use it as intended and I have sworn never, ever to build and use a piece simultaneously in futyre! (penalty of a small workshop but at least there is no more space for workshop furniture :lol: )

2005_12_30_DSC_3542.jpg

DSC_3545.sized.jpg

DSC_3549.jpg

Wowzers! Thats a truly amazing piece of work. Congratulations. You must be chuffed to bits!!!!

Can you do some more close ups by any chance?

Adam

Coming on a treat Chris! Having seen it up close I can vouch for its beauty.

Is it on wheels? I didn't notice that before.

That's gorgeous. I'd be too scared/proud to keep it in a workshop.

Chris, that is a fabulous piece of work. It must be a relief to see it finished - well almost.

Are you going to sort out the bench that is obscuring the bottom right door?

Andy

Latest posts

Back