Tool Cabinet work in progress shots (long)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

These are the WIP shots for the tool cabinet posted here

Initial layout

Initial_layout.jpg

Initial_layout2.jpg

Preparation of the cabinet pieces prior to dovetails being cut

Edge_Prep.jpg

Face_Prep1.jpg

End_Prep.jpg

As the DTs were cut in the exact same way as my Houndstooth box tutorial, I didn't take any photos but here they are cut. Took about 1 1/2 hours to cut them and so I am speeding up quite nicely :D

DTs_Cut.jpg

Plane_those_DTs.jpg

Cleaned up the rebate after glue-up

Clean_Rebate.jpg

Dividers were hand-cut, shot on the shooting board and pre-finished

Shoot_dividers.jpg

Prefinish2.jpg

Dividers were installed using biscuits - I dry assembled it all to mark the biscuit locations.

Mark_For_Biscuits.jpg

Then cut the slots - the new B&Q shop vacuum was fantastic and took all dust from the jointer :D

Cut_Biscuits.jpg

Biscuits_Cut.jpg

Biscutis_Cut2.jpg

Slotted.jpg

Slotted2.jpg

Assembled

Empty_cabinet.jpg

Held it on the wall with 2 french cleats

French_Cleat_Cut.jpg

Clean_up_Cleat.jpg

Cleat_On_Wall.jpg

Cleat_on_Cabinet.jpg

Empty_ON-Wall.jpg

Full_Front.jpg

Very nice - the camera work must have taken nearly as long as the build :lol:

Im sure I only need one more plane

Not sure you do really - where will it go :?: :wink:

Andrew

Tony

That looks really good, I like the way you have done the slots for the chisels.

Are you planning doors or wil it remain open?

And less than 2 years Tony!!

Looks really good, if you feel the need to create some space let me know, I take in any old iron.

Bean

Thank sguys

Andrew, the photography is a bit of a fluke as all pictures were taken on my mobile phone.

Are you planning doors or wil it remain open?

Tony (Waka), that is the $64,000 question :D

Originally, I intended to add doors to hold saws, squares, hammers etc.

Now, I am concerned about the additional depth with doors on and also the width of the thing (37" now) with two doors open 99% of the time - I doubt they will be closed much.

I need to store the hammer, carvers mallet, squares and saws somewhere and if not on doors, then it needs to be a second, much narrower, cabinet (I have plenty of the same wood left). This would have a single drawer too for spare plane irons etc.

So which way to go?????? What do you think Waka? others?

Tony

One of the problems with WS space and cabinets it that you can never have too many. There is an advantage of having doors in that it does keep the dust off the tools, another advantage isthat you can put those axminster vapour things inside to reduce the advance of rust.

The argument against doors is that as you say they will always remainopen, I thought this when I did my wall cabinets, but have to say it doesn't take long to get in the habit of closing them.

My advice FWIW would be to put doors on the cabinet, also make an extension to the existing one so you have room for the next purchases, unless you are planning to get shot of some of those doubles you gloatlessly showed.

Tony,
I would prefer to have doors. To keep the dust off and to keep the tools out of sight from prying eyes. Doors are also an excuse to show off some highly figured timber. If you do not have the room for opening doors you could always have them sliding although you loose the extra storage space this way but then you could always build another cabinet :lol:

Andy

Nice Job Tony, I am very impressed by your technique with the biscuits =D> . Ingenious.
You'll be glad to hear your post taught me a few things. Thank you very much :D

Enjoy your new rack.

Back