Tool Auction at Stowmarket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Evidence from the web site notwithstanding (diary entries are for 2005!!),

http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/diary.html

Tony Murlands "big" auction is at the Cedars (I hope) in Stowmarket tomorrow.

http://www.haylocks.co.uk/cedarshotel/

I shall be attending from around 07.30-09.30 for the very fine tail gating and yard sale.

I expect MJD and Pat Leach to be there, amongst others

BugBear (who's very glad he phoned today!)

I'm envious - I have no chance of making it tomorrow. Even more envious on learning about the extra attraction of the early sale :cry:

But I hope you have a great time, and be sure to let us see your trophies :)

Pete W":88rqhjnb said:
But I hope you have a great time, and be sure to let us see your trophies :)

Tricky with my digi-cam out of action. I got an Eclipse #36 sharpening jig for 4 quid (more on this mystery anon) and a deep-section chisel by Ward & Payne. 1/16" wide!! (3 quid).

BugBear

I love the damned lies!

The straight-faced hardened steel roller permits a true square edge to be honed - even on the narrowest chisels

:^o :^o :^o :^o

BugBear[/i]

The instructions haven't changed much. Here is a copy of the instructions that came with my Eclipse 36 honing guide. I bought mine new about 18-months ago.

Eclipse36instructions.jpg

They still claim that "The straight-faced, hardened steel roller permits a true square edge to be honed - even on the narrowest chisels." Some of the dimensions have changed a little so a new Eclipse 36 must be a bit different to an older Eclipse 36. Mine is made in England and its got Eclipse 36 "written" on the side.

Mirboo":15w8nknl said:
The instructions haven't changed much. Here is a copy of the instructions that came with my Eclipse 36 honing guide. I bought mine new about 18-months ago.

Heh. And I thought I was being extravagant at 4 quid. I bet a "proper" new one is more than that!

BugBear

bugbear":5jksdivh said:
Heh. And I thought I was being extravagant at 4 quid. I bet a "proper" new one is more than that!

I don't know about "proper", but I think I paid more than 4 quid. I bought mine from Axminster but I just checked their website and I can't find it listed there anymore. I think it was around 10 or 12 quid? I can't remember exactly.

bugbear":2ofui9gx said:

They sell the "proper" ones in B&Q so if you ever go in there you can check the price - I think they are more than 4 quid :wink:

Paul

Axminster have both the proper Eclipse (Spear & Jackson now?) at about £9 and the far eastern copy at about £5-50. (Their index seems to get worse every year. Has Camellia oil ever made it?)

As I'm sure you all know, this is absolutely my favorite and most useful honing guide.

The copy has the advantage of extra width, and will take the huge 112 scraping blades. Unfortunately discovered this after writing an article, Book 2, which showed a complex and cumbersome way of getting it into the narrow old eclipse........

The printed propoganda (for user technique), which accompanies the guide is the biggest load of misleading twaddle I have ever read.

The whole point of the narrow roller is that it is easily overidden to make the honing of slightly cambered plane blades easy.

The roller wears and becomes sloppy. Square edges are not likely when the guide is new and entirely dependent on where the finger pressure is exerted by the operator.

I find it essential to place firm force, with one or two forefingers, near to the cutting edge. Slightly out of square grinding is easy to correct by putting more force, onto the finger, which is above the "longer" side.

I never go near the handle, and put as little force as possible, on the guide itself.

Figure of eight with a unidirectional bearing????????

Marples, I think, used to make an amusing guide with one largish ball, for figure of eight work, though why anyone would wish to use this method is beyond me!

It seems very odd that my methods of using this very versatile, simple, cheap guide are almost diametrically opposite to the published instructions.......
This helps to confirm my long held suspicion that many manufacturers do not have a clue about the use and function of the tools they make.

David Charlesworth

David C":3h6yl8bk said:
As I'm sure you all know, this [Eclipse #36] is absolutely my favorite and most useful honing guide.

The copy has the advantage of extra width, and will take the huge 112 scraping blades. Unfortunately discovered this after writing an article, Book 2, which showed a complex and cumbersome way of getting it into the narrow old eclipse........

The printed propoganda (for user technique), which accompanies the guide is the biggest load of misleading twaddle I have ever read.
Figure of eight with a unidirectional bearing????????

Marples, I think, used to make an amusing guide with one largish ball, for figure of eight work, though why anyone would wish to use this method is beyond me!

For more information, Alf has what you need:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/album/ ... hp?album=6
and I have:
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=4279

The Marples #7418 had a cambered roller, and the Record #161 had a ball, and was useless - the ball tended not to rotate, and got (in formula one racing terms) flatted. Which made it rotate less. etc...

This helps to confirm my long held suspicion that many manufacturers do not have a clue about the use and function of the tools they make.

Perhap the design team didn't speak to the manufacturing team who didn't speak to the sales, marketing and packaging team.

Oh, and another personal rant; why the hëll do people think a figure of eight distributes wear evenly - it self evidently maximises wear in the middle of the stone, which is EXACTLY the problem we're trying to avoid.

BugBear

Oh, and according to the news on telly last night, a world record for a British tool was set; a bizarre, unusual and rare Norris plane, which a guy won as a prize and NEVER USED, sold for 16,000 pounds.

Too rich for my blood :shock:

BugBear

Hah, you are not kidding Mr C! :shock: :lol:
They certainly know how to have "fun"............ :twisted:
Philly :D

Should think do, too. :?
That kinda thing puts me off my dinner-and sadly the Woodcentral folk seem to have a soft spot for it.
Mind you, I did save St Pats response-good for a laugh.
Philly :D

Mirboo":q7hucbcn said:
I just visited Woodcentral to check on the latest developments and the thread has now been deleted.
Finally? Somone I know has the complete original messages from the two miscreants.

So does Tony and Patrick. Between the first two posters and some of the bazaar follow up messages, it was headed down hill quickly.

Just to throw another Eclipse-style guide into the mix...before DB does <g>.

Linky removed...

Take care, Mike

and I know someone that thinks the Eclipse-style Chinese clones cost too much...

MikeW":j9ikaz9b said:
Just to throw another Eclipse-style guide into the mix...before DB does <g>.

Link removed by request

Take care, Mike

and I know someone that thinks the Eclipse-style Chinese clones cost too much...
Oi vey :shock: Bet BB's thinking that 4 quid wasn't so bad after all...

Cheers, Alf

Back