too much wind

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
A while back i bought the incra router plate and the clean sweep interchangeable plates. All work well except for an unexpected problem.
The router motor cooling fan puts out such an updraught through the clean sweep plates that no dust is going inside the undertable box. That might not sound too bad, but a lot of my routing uses bearing guided cutters so the fence is pushed back away from the bit.

The table top and surrounding area is now being covered in dust and bits that should have fallen under the table.
Anyone else had this particular problem, and did you find a cure?

NO, I am NOT going to go back to solid plates, at least not yet.

Can you put a bit of pipe (say 4" PVC downpipe) over the end of your router to duct it away?

No. I've just done a roundover of the edges of a bandsaw box, as i move the box around the bit the chips fly in all directions. It would be OK if I was using a fence, but freehand seems like its going to be a big problem.

I've seen a router table design where it makes use of this updraft and has a vaccum hose right where the blade is to pull it away.

edit: freehand.. ok could you make a jig to hold the end of a vac hose near the work that slots into a t-track, if it has one?

Is there a massive advantage to freehand over using the fence?

with a shaped object, you have to follow the outline.

I bought a muscle chuck a while ago. but did not like the increase in noise and vibration.
I have now refitted it as a trial, as it allows the router to be lower, allowing more downdraught.
I will have to experiment to see which is better.

Latest posts

Back