Too many screws!!!!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Record Power DML36 lathe from the Record showroom open day at Yandles before Xmas. Very, very pleased with the deal and the performance of the lathe (I am new to turning) but.....
The headstock drive wheels are fixed to their shafts by 6mm allen head grubscrews. Whilst hacking into revolving wood these grubscrews become loose and the drive wheels then rattle about (and lose traction), so I regularly tighten them. After a while the head of one of the screws became rounded (combination of poor quality allen key and ham fisted operator) so I obtained some new screws and locking compound. When attempting to fit the new screws I found that there was another screw underneath each of the ones that I tried to tighten !! In effect I am trying to tighten the locking screw against another screw and not the shaft !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY ????????????? :?

I suspect the top screw is simply meant to lock the bottom screw. Obviously it hasn't been doing a very good job, so using locking compound on the lower screw should solve matters.

Make sure you use a low strength compound so the screw can be removed later if necessary. Loctite 222 'Screw Lock' or similar purple compound allows disassembly. Green or red compound are medium/high strength adhesives, for things such as stud/bearing fixing.

Ike

What Ike said - sort of locking scrw in the fashion of 2 lockig nuts on bolts

Back