Tommy Walsh's Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andycktm":dij5hlld said:
If you can say Tommy Walsh is a coyboy ,then obviously you know nothing!

Apparently I know nothing then :evil:

With my carpentry and joinery City & Guilds, advanced City & Guilds and Apprentice of the year for Hammersmith & West London College under my belt and that was all between 1987 and 1991 so I am sure I have learnt even more since then.

All the above is why I think I can spot a bodger.

Yes I do still watch his programmes but he has this annoying thing that he knows better than everyone else when he doesnt.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry probably a bit strong calling him a cowboy :oops:

He's more a jack of all trades master of none.

I've heared of 50 ton excavator's driver's who can level job's to within an inch.
But cannot get job's because they have no NVQ!
You cannot beat experience in any form.
I'd be honoured to let Tommy Walsh work for me :D

He's maybe not a cowboy, because he probably doesn't rip people off. However, he is definately a bodger. I am a Landscaper by trade, and Walsh's work on Groundforce made me cringe and swear at the TV!

At the end of the day, all Tommy is doing is the same as most of us, earning a living, I find his tips ref the building trade very helpful, were he to venture into engineering I might be more critical, Iv'e heard no bad comments from the people he has helped, and for my money he can build a wall for me anyday, horses for courses in my opinion.

Rich.

Tommy Walsh is just anther tv personality,and his bit has to fit tv
a bit like changing rooms.They(the cast) admitted it was rubbish but they did what they were told.
Slim i've watched many a Walsh and i've never had the feeling's you have ,what do you class as a bodge? :?
On some of the programs(challenge Tommy) he's better than the original craftsman :lol: :lol:

andycktm":1u3vgzt7 said:
Slim i've watched many a Walsh and i've never had the feeling's you have ,what do you class as a bodge?

One example would be leveling paving stones with his boot and no spirit level. I realise that speed was important on Groundforce, but there was no excuse for that!

andycktm,

Forget all my qualifications I have never had to show anyone any of them anyway.

I have however been doing carpentry for about 27 years of which 20 I have been a professional and 16 of that 20 I have been self-employed.

To me that sounds like a lot of experience in the building trade.

How is it you think Tommy Walsh is so great ?

What experience do you have please tell everyone ?

I am sure there are much more experienced people than me on this forum who could express their opinion on Tommy too.

As I said I knew someone who actually worked with him they didnt just see him on the telly.

Tommy Walsh has an ego to match his bulk! His programs are more interesting to watch than the dreaded fishing ones but i can't stand the way he tries to belittle other tradesmen who have far more expertise and experience than he will ever have. The general opinion of Tommy on this subject seems to be one of his attitude towards others rather than the work he does.

jonathan.

Hello all,

I must thank Tommy walsh for introducing us all to Alan Herd. As a diyer, I love to watch Alan do his wizardry with wood, and feel I have learned from watching him.
I am not lost to the fact that the name of the game is entertaining the viewing public, and feel Tommy does some good jobs and some bad, but on the whole he does far better than I do.

GT

jonny boy":25wlwl5a said:
Tommy Walsh has an ego to match his bulk! His programs are more interesting to watch than the dreaded fishing ones but i can't stand the way he tries to belittle other tradesmen who have far more expertise and experience than he will ever have. The general opinion of Tommy on this subject seems to be one of his attitude towards others rather than the work he does.

jonathan.
We are all a bit jealous as our wives fancy him :cry:

Chipp - can you tell me what he does so badly - specifically?
I don't like his ego or his manner either - but what is so bad about what he does as a general builder?

I often see him referred to as a cowboy or a bodger, but never hear any detail of what he has done wrong, apart from be himself.

Evening all,
Everyone is entitled to their opinion,all i can say is i met Tommy walsh once at a charity event and he seemed a nice genuine guy,im not vastly experienced at any trade (or formerly qualified) but i guess i am a jack of all trades but ive never seen what i considered a bodge by him or Alan Heard,filming unfortunately sometimes limits time they can spend on a project and budgets are sometimes a factor also so i think he always does the best work he can due to constrictions,and i don think he tries to belittle anyone but alot of the general public look to him to learn about the building trade,and he presents to inform i think.

Ive never known a tradesman not verbally pull apart anothers work in someway or another.

Joe

motownmartin":1cxew9ne said:
We are all a bit jealous as our wives fancy him :cry:

On the wall of our local Chinese Takeaway there is a signed pic of Tommy Walsh in a Tuxedo and Bow Tie..... ;) I think he fancies himself a bit too :D

I do not consider Tommy Walsh to be a cowboy or a bodger in any way, to the contrary, some of his work i've seen does look very tidy and rarely does he cut any corners.
My only issue with him is the way he has to alway's try and show himself as the more knowledgeable one towards other tradesmen and doesn't like the thought of them looking more skilled than he is on T.V.
Another issue is with regards to the ultimate workshop show he did. I thought this was going to be his chance to show us all how an average person could build their own workshop from start to finish which would be realistic. What was shown, was another of his me, me, me programs telling poor Tony to shut up when i'm talking episode, A pneumatic mezzanine floor, and a garage kitted out with more T.V's and hi-fi's than hand tools. And to top it off, the end shot show's him arrogantly sitting in an awful white suit showing off his Aston martin telling us how hard he's worked!
Doesn't know what hard work is.
jonathan.

I haven't watched him very often, but I do remember him doing the "spot bedding" thing with paving slabs - where you slap down a lump of mortar at each corner, and a spot in the middle, which is a total bodge.

I saw an edition of Tommy Walsh's Space Invaders the other day. In the show he was in a village in Derbyshire working with a guy called Jacob, restoring old sash windows. does anyone know if the 'Jacob' was Jacob Butler aka Mr Grimsdale, who used to frequent this forum. I looked in the credits but he didn't appear to get a mention.

Jake":2j9vr0rx said:
I haven't watched him very often, but I do remember him doing the "spot bedding" thing with paving slabs - where you slap down a lump of mortar at each corner, and a spot in the middle, which is a total bodge.

and yet on another program he advised against that method.

Back