Tommy Walsh's Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What annoys me most about him is that he thinks he is a carpenter when actually he is a brickie or landscaper as far as I know.

Nothing wrong with being either of those trades but if you are don't go on telly pretending to know all about carpentry.

I will give you one bodge that I have seen him do and thats all as I don't want to waste any more time on this subject.

While building the ULTIMATE :lol: WORKSHOP he put the cladding on only nailing at the top of each board so as to hide the nails with the next board. This is rubbish as the boards are 100 % guaranteed to curl up and look rubbish if you do not fix at the bottom too.

Once again I will say he isn't really a cowboy but more a know it all and a bit of a bodger.

Jake":2lhdjjap said:
I haven't watched him very often, but I do remember him doing the "spot bedding" thing with paving slabs - where you slap down a lump of mortar at each corner, and a spot in the middle, which is a total bodge.

Not neccesarily Jake,

Depending on the situation, if you want to bed your slabs on mortar, it is easier to level them using this method. However, the consistency of the mortar has to be exact, and you have to put enough down so that when you level the slab, it is pushed outwards, creating a full mortar bed. This give 100% support to the slab.

You are correct though, in that the way Walsh did it was a bodge. Most people do it the same, as it saves on materials.

I laid 60 2'x2' flags for a patio at the rear of our house.I laid them on a full
bed of motar (4 sharp 2 red 1 cement) 5+ years ago.
All copied off Tommy. :?

I guess he changed his ways - or maybe I just caught him on a bad day when he was rushing - it was one of those Groundforce programmes I think.

Whatever you think about him he has made a name for himself and he is probably very wealthy, he is not my cup of tea but good luck I say. I also thought that the Jacob my be the Grimsdale he had the right manner.

motownmartin":2izksj5v said:
I see this morning their was a repeat run of Tommy Walsh's ultimate workshop, guess what, yep, I missed it, well most of it, did anyone record it on DVD, if so I would like to purchase a copy.
For some reason, I don't value what he does, and if anything does appear to be any good, then I suspect it's more about the achievements of his PR machine and program producers.

Hi Paul,

I had forgotten about Will mockett, he clearly knew his way aroung a multi function woodworking machine. I thought he was like an unpolished Alan Herd, but equally as watchable!!

GT

i am shocked! do not forget that tommy walsh is a builder, not a cabinet maker or furniture maker. I'm sure there have been many people join this forum with little or no knowledge that have been helped along the way by other members, not slated.
Tommy wlash did a series called the eco house which he built an eco friendly house in 60days, he built this house where i live in march, and i went along one day and met him, he is such a friendly and welcoming chap, just like all the members of this forum, if he were to join this forum i'm sure everyone would welcome him and help him with any questions or queries. No he might not be as talented as alot of the members here, but he is a builder.
Owe and the house he built looks great.

chippy1970":1v41zu1s said:
What annoys me most about him is that he thinks he is a carpenter... ...you are don't go on telly pretending to know all about carpentry.

I agree. I remember him showing the camera how to sharpen a chisel on an oilstone. Okay, he started by working on the primary bevel but as soon as that was done, he was finished. There was no indication of the secondary or honing bevel whatsoever!

Rknott2007":rn5rhdew said:
i am shocked! do not forget that tommy walsh is a builder, not a cabinet maker or furniture maker. I'm sure there have been many people join this forum with little or no knowledge that have been helped along the way by other members, not slated.
Tommy wlash did a series called the eco house which he built an eco friendly house in 60days, he built this house where i live in march, and i went along one day and met him, he is such a friendly and welcoming chap, just like all the members of this forum, if he were to join this forum i'm sure everyone would welcome him and help him with any questions or queries. No he might not be as talented as alot of the members here, but he is a builder.
Owe and the house he built looks great.

You are not getting the point I was making YES I agree he is a builder and is ok at that, but he insists on pretending he knows everything about everything when he does not.

I would not go on telly telling people how to lay a drive way because I would want them to learn from a builder not a carpenter.

Please read what I and others have written cleary as you have misunderstood, my view anyway.

By the way I hopefully am one of those people you mentoned that have helped people along with advice on this forum but I would only advise on MY TRADE not anyone else's.

Hope this is all clear

I,m sure he is a warm and freindly chap, but that doesn't disguise the fact that when on T.V., he has this smug attitude towards others who try to offer him any advice or a different way of doing something. He is basically a big head and to support this I refer to my last comments about the ultimate workshop program he did. If someone could tell me what kind of information or advice he was trying to give by going from a shot of the completed workshop to a shot of him sitting in a black Aston Martin, wearing a white tuxedo and sunglasses, i'd be greatful. This was nothing more than letting everyone know he has an expensive car. I also think this was because he produced that series and gave him the chance to do it, otherwise I don't think it would have been shown.

jonathan.

jonny boy":k9wr9maj said:
I,m sure he is a warm and freindly chap, but that doesn't disguise the fact that when on T.V., he has this smug attitude towards others who try to offer him any advice or a different way of doing something. He is basically a big head and to support this I refer to my last comments about the ultimate workshop program he did. If someone could tell me what kind of information or advice he was trying to give by going from a shot of the completed workshop to a shot of him sitting in a black Aston Martin, wearing a white tuxedo and sunglasses, i'd be greatful. This was nothing more than letting everyone know he has an expensive car. I also think this was because he produced that series and gave him the chance to do it, otherwise I don't think it would have been shown.

jonathan.

Hmm.. how about ultimate garage/workshop and the ultimate car?
Very much doubt it was his car looked a little uncomfortable but then fairly certain he doesn't live there either.
Not entirely sure we all watch the same programmes I have often seen him getting as good as he gives Mockett calls him a wood butcher but I suspect as his actual expertise is in laying crazy paving we new that.

Regards Tom (Not Walsh)

Smudger":1l5hvgl6 said:
Is it true he drinks Bailey's by the half-pint?
No, it's by the pint. Or it used to be before he went on one of those 'celebrity bloater' programmes.
I thought Will Mockett was rather good value, what was the programme they did 'The Reclaimers' or something, rather good fun. I always remember the programme description "Tommy Walsh and renegade craftsman Will Mockett undertake another reclamation project." I rather liked the idea of a 'Renegade craftsman' kind of like a Ronin, roaming the countryside, silently and inexplicably repairing peoples' dodgy fences or rotten windowframes and then disappearing into the night, leaving nothing behind but the faint smell of boiled linseed.

I think I need another coffee.

I think Will Mockett was once part of a makeover show - must have been better than the disgraceful Handy Andy...
I think he is a working carpenter/restorer (of houses). This is what my wife told me. She also made some unflattering comparisons of my general physique, looks and woodworking skills to his.

Rknott2007":49jbnm4y said:
i am shocked! do not forget that tommy walsh is a builder, not a cabinet maker or furniture maker.....

I don't think his detractors are being critical of the man, nor of what he does as a general builder, but he's often on programs that project him as much more. When producers and program makers do that they just dilute the meaning and exaggerate the personality.

I've been to two 'seminars' given by Tommy Walsh and 'Handy' Andy at the NEC and they gave out very little useful information other than what could be browsed through a DIY magazine and very little of anything meaningful derived from the Q & A session which is when you can really tell who's up to the scrutiny.

Nice fellas though all the same

You could be the best tradesman in your trade but that doesn't mean that you'll make a good TV presenter.
Most men are experts at everything, so they say :wink:

Back