Tom made a pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always been a bit scared to try pen making, mainly because they are fine and delicate and I have (to quote the safety officer at work) "fingers like a pig's teats." Not the best combo I feel. Having replaced many of my scabby cheapo tools I decided it was time to dip my toe in the pool. So, having bought some walnut blanks I drilled and tubed the 1st blank and
1stPen-small.jpg

Not too bad for a first attempt I think. A few mistakes, but managed to get the shape pretty much how I wanted it. All in all happy with the result.

=D>not bad, not bad at all Taz! =D>
personally i found the turning bit the easiest to get to grips with, its the finishing that trips me up :(
so far ive sussed out that..
best tool = skew,
best abrasive to use = 320/400/ rhino, 600 then micromesh (lathe stationary and sanding with the grain)
best finish (that ive managed) = CA/BLO x3 then the last 4 micromesh again, then another CA/BLO x3 and a quick wipe with liquid carnuba (simoniz car polish).
pen in cocobolo2.JPG

then you try a different flavour wood and it comes out completely different :evil: start again :?
one thing to watch out for, they become a bit addictive :)

Attachments

• pen in cocobolo2.JPG
    pen in cocobolo2.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,013
I like the BLO/CA finish, hard as nails. After my final "along the grain sanding with 800 grit I did a polish with Mer car polish and a buff up with Autoglym super resin polish. The quick snaps don't do the finish justice really, especially with the shadow at the nib end which makes it look really dull.

Blister":1v14uvfj said:
Have you started No 2 yet :lol:
#2 is also done, and #3 has been cut & glued ready for turning. My second one went to my lovely missus who has severe arthritis, and was turned to fit her hands.
#3 will be iroko, from some square stock I had kicking around. I've also ordered more blanks from the bay of E, 15 for around a fiver.... 'tis true, this is addictive.

Be a bit careful with the iroko. It doesn't like me and brings my hands and arms out in a rash and my eyes get very sore very quickly. The dust isn't good for your breathing either!

That is also why my pens are the shape they are because I have arthritis although not too bad at the mo!!

I'm OK with iroko, but always mask up when I'm using it - even cutting with a hand saw.

Took a bit of doing, on and off the lathe to let her hold it with a dummy pointy type bit on the end (don't know what that bit is called) until she was happy.
pen2.jpg

I think 'pointy bit' is about as techy as is needed mate :mrgreen:

She will certainly treasure it for the care you took with it! Nice looking pen and finish. I have never used cyano as a finish. I always use celulose sanding sealer and melamine laquer and buffed on my Beal system finishing with carnuba wax.

Back