Togo woodturning chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,
I was wondering if any ne can furnish me with info regarding Togo gouges.....are they any good? And moreover who makes them? Can’t seem to find any info on them...

Cheers

They might be, but your question is still a bit vague. Toga was the 'own brand' of Buck and Hickman. They were a big tool seller from the mid 19th century. They still exist, but don't use the Toga brand any more.
I'm pretty sure they used the brand for most of the 20th century. It could have been on carbon steel or HSS tools. If you are looking at old turning tools, carbon steel is more likely. They still work of course, but are not what most turners want these days.

More info

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Buck_and_Hickman

We pole lathe turners quite like carbon steel ones though, as they are easier to keep keen by hand with just a stone, and green wood is relatively gentle on the tools. And happily, we can buy up the old ones the power turners don't want :D

Hi...thanks for the reply and info. I’m fairly new to woodturning S grateful to comments.i did manage to pick up some small wolf and larger Sorby ones off gumtree.....they have helped me to produce work.....

AndyT":33znmwh0 said:
They might be, but your question is still a bit vague. Toga was the 'own brand' of Buck and Hickman. They were a big tool seller from the mid 19th century. They still exist, but don't use the Toga brand any more.
I'm pretty sure they used the brand for most of the 20th century. It could have been on carbon steel or HSS tools. If you are looking at old turning tools, carbon steel is more likely. They still work of course, but are not what most turners want these days.

More info

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Buck_and_Hickman

Thanks for your reply regarding chisels.....I see your in Bristol...I am fairly new to woodturning but do have a few wolf and Sorby chisels....helped me no end....

Back