Toggle Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
I am very new to the wonderful world of wood but already hooked ! Just built my first router table and was impressed with the tenon jig on this website (a fantastic place for advice I find) but where can I get toggle clamps ? I live in the home town of Screwfix but they don't stock them and I have failed to find any on the web, or is there a better alternative clamp ?

Hi Les, welcome. :D

Another possible source is Wealden Tools. You'll need to go to the downloads section for the details (and keep them bookmarked for their router cutters; generally well regarded by users round here). There's some more discussion in this thread too.

Cheers, Alf

I got some clamps from Wealden too. Very nice - need to get some more.

Slightly off topic - but I was speaking to someone at Axminster who was saying their perform range (significantly cheaper than Wealden) were also sourced from around the world and many would come from the same factory and with a similiar spec to the Wealden router cutters. I have some Wealden and some Perform and others - I can't see a huge difference. Anyone done some real tests?

I did mould 25m of oak with a 3/4" radius CMT bit at the weekend, and the finish was excellent - and was as good as new at the end of the run. But I don't usually do things like that so very hard to do comparisons.

That aside the service from Wealden wins every time. Free next delivery is very handy!

Cheers

Gidon

I have been very pleased with some Perform bits I got ( a selection of edge moulders mainly). They are well constructed bits with thick carbide and they leave a lovely finish. I also like the way the Perform bits put a scale on the shank so that you can see how far you have inserted the bit into the collet - useful when you are trying to get the max length.

I must say I've been very pleased with the Perform cutters I have, and like Chris I think the scale on the shank is jolly handy. Trouble is I simply don't use my router cutters enough to know if they're up to the "long haul", which is maybe where the more expensive ones earn their keep? But then if some of the Perform ones come from Wealden... Confusion reigns yet again :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Perform cutters seem fairly decent I agree.

I have recently been using a set of cutters from USA from Whiteside Machinery and I am dead impressed.

Can't comment on wealden as they never used them.

Alf":20uqs9mg said:
But then if some of the Perform ones come from Wealden... Confusion reigns yet again :roll:

I aim to confuse! Wealden don't make their own bits. I was just commenting that Axminster claim their Perform bits are sourced from the same places Wealden source their bits.

The only manufcaturer I can find in this country that make their own bits is Titman- and they are very pricey!

Cheers

Gidon

Trouble is I simply don't use my router cutters enough to know if they're up to the "long haul", which is maybe where the more expensive ones earn their keep? But then if some of the Perform ones come from Wealden... Confusion reigns yet again

Sorry to bang the drum again guys but thats where a Woodworking WHICH would come in mighty handy :)

gidon":2awxwe1e said:
Wealden don't make their own bits.
Hell's teeth, I was sure somebody said they did :? Yeah, here 'tis, Doughnut about 8 messages down here. Wealden's site certainly gives the impression that they make 'em. I feel mislead :( :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":pl68zo5t said:
Wealden's site certainly gives the impression that they make 'em. I feel mislead

I agree - I phoned them up a while ago to ask about their toggle clamps (back on topic :D) - and only then did I find they don't make their own stuff. But I think the designs are theirs.

Cheers

Gidon

Back