Toddlers Banned From Making 'Rude' Twinkle Twinkle Signs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
Toddlers in North Yorkshire have been banned from performing actions to the nursery rhyme Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, in case it offends deaf people.

Bosses at the Sure Start children's group in Acomb are reported to have introduced the ban after realising one of the hand actions could be misconstrued as a rude gesture.

The issue -- identified after staff attended a sign language course -- is said to be that the hand gesture used for diamond resembles the official sign language sign for female genitalia. :mrgreen:

The British Sign Language council told them not to be so daft . BSL is a language of context as well as sign and no deaf person would ever misinterpret the the actions as offensive

Yes can't possibly see what they mean

s-DEAF-TWINKLE-mini.jpg

:shock: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• s-DEAF-TWINKLE-mini.jpg
    s-DEAF-TWINKLE-mini.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 728
Alan Jones":25w1ohqf said:
Yes can't possibly see what they mean

:shock: :mrgreen:

The BSL sign for the female anatomy is the hands held that way at below waist height. The actions for Twinkle Twinkle make put the hands together above the head so it is not even close.

The actions for Incy Wincy Spider would be closer to the official sign but once again context would rule out any offence.

To turn the issue the other way, try asking any deaf or signing friends what the sign is for Bill Clinton :)

Alan Jones":3i2y3n85 said:
Toddlers in North Yorkshire have been banned from performing actions to the nursery rhyme Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, in case it offends deaf people.

ROFLMAO.gif

Will the last person to leave the country please turn out the lights.

Roy

Having a toddler myself, how the hell do you explain that to them.

I guess some member of staff who is an anal retentive has complained, may be they should find another career something like parachuting with out a parachute.

They probably are the same ones who will not read the proper version of Snow White to their kids, you know the one with the Dwarfs in.

RANT OVER

Tom

doorframe":1lr22d0n said:
Will the last person to leave the country please turn out the lights.
Roy

Roy - May I slightly amend your post "Will the last SANE person to leave the country please turn out the lights" :lol:

As mentioned above this is PC madness and I'm pleased to see some people with knowledge of signing have demonstrated just how stupid it is.

Losos, if your signature is correct then you like me are not qualified to do the switching?

So, who are we do dictate who the hell switches of that light :mrgreen:

The PC dictates are in charge at the moment and I believe that it in the swing of a huge pendulim and they will go the way of the rest. I just hope that they don't destroy everything before that pendulim chops their stupid bleeedin heads off!

The French would do, as they do with OTAN or NATO to everyone else, put the initials the wrong way round, so PC becomes CP which stands for Complete Prats!

paultnl":1dlyua9e said:
The British Sign Language council told them not to be so daft . BSL is a language of context as well as sign and no deaf person would ever misinterpret the the actions as offensive

It was a Makaton course, which at a guess was taught by someone who isn't themselves deaf. At least that was the case for the courses I and my colleagues did when I was taught it. I wasn't taught this sign, but I was getting enough at the time so I didn't need it. It just sounds like a, shall I say, cock up by some slightly uninformed but overly well meaning people. It's not like they stopped them singing it, just that they used the actual makaton symbol for diamond. It's a very non-story which will only raise the blood pressure of those with moderately serious anxiety disorders.

Some people do like these freak show stories - it makes a dull world more interesting for them. :roll:
But they usually turn out to be totally exaggerated and trivial in the cold light of dawn, but this is unlikely to be reported.

it makes a dull world more interesting for them.

You do have a poor opinion of people don't you? Now, me, I find these things fascinating because they show people in all their great variety.
Strange that, one story, two takes, one up beat, one down beat, which also tells us something about the commentators don't you think?

Roy.

Back