Todays myster tool multiple ring spanner????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workshopgranny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hy guys, thanks for the replies on my last query, I dont want to act dumb but being a old gal I am not sure what all these tools are that I have found in my workshop whilst having a clear out, sometime I can goo**e the answer and sometimes I can't. so the picture below has the words W Germany on and BUMM now I have googled that word and got some strange images!
can anyone tell me if it is for a bike or a cycle or what?
thanks for your patience

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,110
I think that we used to have a similar one for our bikes as kids.

Hi,

Bike spanner, made from some sort of silver cheese.

Pete

Like they said.

They were always made of poor soft metal which would distort or snap in use. Obsolete now that bike fittings are held on with Allen screws. Not collectable, not even useful, even if you have a thirty year old bike which in theory they were meant for.

They were the sporty (i.e light-wight) alternative to the usual collection of flat steel bike spanners.

AndyT":1wv3c89n said:
Like they said.

They were always made of poor soft metal which would distort or snap in use. Obsolete now that bike fittings are held on with Allen screws. Not collectable, not even useful, even if you have a thirty year old bike which in theory they were meant for.
The ones I have Andy, fit most of the nuts on my Coronet Major. As such, they are fine for emergencies. (When I can't find the proper spanner I mislaid! :mrgreen: )
I have a couple always in the workbench drawer; posh. chrome plated, bike spanners. 8)
#
PS I do have a thirty year old Major Nichols bike in the loft! AsItHap! Nah... It's 48 years old. Blimey! Where did the time go? :lol:

There was also a slightly larger version of this supplied with I think pre-war or perhaps just after Ford cars bearing the legend 'Dumb Bell Quicko for Ford'. I've still several of these spanners. Don't throw it out, there's a special thread and nut size, British Cycle Thread, used on older bikes before metrication took hold. Still turns up today, my 53 plate Royal Enfield still has some.

Tony Comber

The french may have invented roast lamb, which was a Good Thing, but did they really have to foist their bloody silly person measurement system on us?

dunbarhamlin":6xlk2jth said:
The french may have invented roast lamb, which was a Good Thing, but did they really have to foist their bloody silly person measurement system on us?

=D> =D> =D>

I like some of their cheeses, some of their wines, and I liked some of their weather in the 1960s! But I too, can't see the sense in their measurements. I work with it, but it costs money sometimes to replace stuff. :evil:

Latest posts

Back