Todays Car Boot Haul!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting day today, the sun brought out loads of people and despite getting there very late came up with the following:

sdriver.jpg

nice little screwdriver for 10p.

fence01.jpg

I think this is an after market fence for adding to a tool but may be wrong here, any thoughts anyone? Not bad for 50p.

preston7702.jpg

preston7701.jpg

A nice E Preston curved No77 spokeshave with Preston iron. Unfortunately I had to shell out for this at £6.

Then the oddest item of the day:

Prestonbnose01.jpg

Lovely Preston bullnose plane......until:
prestonbnose02.jpg

side cheek broken off and no iron. I think that a gunmaker friend of mine might just be able to do something with this so grabbed it at £2.
prestonbnose03.jpg

Better view of the break, any comments?

All in all a nice morning out in the sun.
Regards
Martin

I think this is an after market fence for adding to a tool but may be wrong here, any thoughts anyone?

Sun visor for a 1905 Sentiel traction engine ? :lol: :lol:

Nice haul, does the missing side cheek effect the performance of the plane?

mahking51":nh4a87u5 said:
Interesting day today, the sun brought out loads of people and despite getting there very late came up with the following:

nice little screwdriver for 10p.
"Perfect handle" - stick that, with inverted commas, in the Porch search and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to. :D

I think this is an after market fence for adding to a tool but may be wrong here, any thoughts anyone? Not bad for 50p.
I think that might be interesting, but I don't recognise it.

A nice E Preston curved No77 spokeshave with Preston iron. Unfortunately I had to shell out for this at £6.
Yeah, I'm crying buckets for you... :roll:

Then the oddest item of the day:
Lovely Preston bullnose plane...... side cheek broken off and no iron. I think that a gunmaker friend of mine might just be able to do something with this so grabbed it at £2.... any comments?
You're a lucky stinking so-and-so and I hate you? :p :lol: Seems to me it's still work without the side piece, so you just need a blade. Ray Iles is your man, natch.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Did I mention how much I hate you? ](*,)

Yes, Perfect Handle screwdriver. Nice find - I have a small collection of them.

The "fence" is a jointer fence, similar to the Stanley #386 (which I own :D ) or the Millers Fall #88 (cheaper version). Add it to the side of a #5 or #7 and square those board edges. Very handy on big boards.

see: http://www.antiquetools.com/mini-col/stanley-386/

Regards from Perth

Derek

SP
Don't know about performance yet - no iron!

DEREK
thanks for the link, are they easy to find? 386 that is :)

ALF
I know, I just gotta stop doing this to you :p :p . Waka and I are going to get some therapy. (the retail kind, on Thursday!)
Regards
Martin

Martin,
I reckon you and Philly deserve each other. I shall organise coach parties of UKW members to come and visit you in the debtors' prison. We shall come equipped with all manner of gloats to dangle in front of the bars. Probably many of them will have come from the public auction of your goods and chattels.. :lol:

Chris
In that case I'd better start stocking upon files, they may come in handy! :)
Must be some Aurious somewhere at the boot sale for about a quid.....
Think Alf would want a couple? :twisted: :twisted:
Regards
martin

The "fence" is a jointer fence, similar to the Stanley #386 (which I own :D ) or the Millers Fall #88 (cheaper version). Add it to the side of a #5 or #7 and square those board edges. Very handy on big boards.
I thought that, except I couldn't see how it'd attach to the plane, even allowing for missing bits. :-k But looking again, and comparing to this Millers Falls one I think I was being a bit thick, wasn't I? #-o

No, you don't have to answer that. :roll:

Trouble is I don't use my #386 enough to be familiar with it. :oops: The penalty of having a wide range of tools from which to choose. And a cambered blade. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Martin, nice haul.

Noel

PS, how much were the 4 Helix rulers?

Nice work Martin!
I went to the Ashley Heath booty and came away with two Stanley braces and a handful of bits. £3 well spent (maybe........)
Only Preston stuff was on a traders stall-£12 for the shaves so I left them there. :lol:
Cheers
The Dorset Booty Boys :D

Alf,
That Millers Falls fence is the fence I use. It attaches with cam/wedges or wedge/cams? (very quick and IMHO superior to the Stanley version) In any case it isn't quite like the boot sale score, for I see no way of attaching that one.

waterhead37":269n4i16 said:
Alf,
That Millers Falls fence is the fence I use. It attaches with cam/wedges or wedge/cams? (very quick and IMHO superior to the Stanley version)
We're not going to have the Jointer Fence Wars now, are we...? :lol:

waterhead37":269n4i16 said:
In any case it isn't quite like the boot sale score, for I see no way of attaching that one.
I assumed something had dropped off twixt leaving the factory and becoming a gloat in Dorset. The posts that appear to alter the distance of the fence from whatever it's attached to are a bit of a puzzler though. The MF doesn't have that, does it?

Cheers, Alf

Just noticed that there are two plain round bosses on the side that look as though they are there for holes to be drilled to take a fence assembly.
Martin

Alf":og17b0et said:
We're not going to have the Jointer Fence Wars now, are we...? :lol:

I'd love to but all you guys who eschew the use of a fence in favour of the skillfull use of a cambered iron would provide no sport.:lol:

Alf":og17b0et said:
I assumed something had dropped off twixt leaving the factory and becoming a gloat in Dorset. The posts that appear to alter the distance of the fence from whatever it's attached to are a bit of a puzzler though. The MF doesn't have that, does it?
Cheers, Alf

No the MF is a fixed distance. I guess one with an adjustable distance might be quite interesting, you could use a cambered iron!

Of course, Chris, if one had a fence and could actually rely upon it (which one can) to cut an edge square to a face (which it ensures), just why would one need to rely on the wiggly use of a cambered iron to do the same?

Mike
(ducking and running to hide in his shop)

mahking51":1iopeicz said:
Just found this link:
http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/1168.html
Looks a lot like my damaged bullnose :eek: :eek: , mine does not appear to have any means of attaching the fence though.
Different model I believe; not worth some hundreds of £'s. Perhaps a gentleman with a Preston catalogue reprint could elucidate?

MikeW":1iopeicz said:
Of course, Chris, if one had a fence and could actually rely upon it (which one can) to cut an edge square to a face (which it ensures), just why would one need to rely on the wiggly use of a cambered iron to do the same?
Probably for the same reason people take the training wheels off their bicycles. :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

MikeW wrote:

Probably for the same reason people take the training wheels off their bicycles.

Oooh Alf! You ARE in fine form this morning! :lol: :lol:

Different model I believe; not worth some hundreds of £'s. Perhaps a gentleman with a Preston catalogue reprint could elucidate?

My research shows it to be a non-fenced 1347, however with the damage etc that is academic. I have been to my gunsmith friend and IHO there is no chance of an even vaguely economic repair other than a bodge.
Regards
Martin

Alf":1pgi8au2 said:
MikeW":1pgi8au2 said:
Probably for the same reason people take the training wheels off their bicycles. :wink: :lol:
Cheers, Alf
Which is why I don't own a fence nor feel the need to rely on a cambered blade to make a square cut to begin with... :wink: :lol:

Mike
Feeling a bit mischievous this morning

MikeW":13brmw2a said:
Alf":13brmw2a said:
MikeW":13brmw2a said:
Cheers, Alf
Which is why I don't own a fence nor feel the need to rely on a cambered blade to make a square cut to begin with... :wink: :lol:
Ah, no bicycle? Sad. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back