Todays Booty!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Got there a bit earlier today which was just as well for suddenly I felt like Sherlock Holmes did when Moriarty was around, a competetive presence more felt than seen and sure 'nough suddenly Waka appeared, but too late I cried!

First today,
SDriver02.jpg

Another perfect handle, bit bigger than last week, 30p.

Very pleased with these Stanley D Socket chisels, rubbish handles but I have some nice rosewood or ebony lying around for these. £2 each.
DChisel.jpg

130plane.jpg

Unusual Stanley 130 double ender in good nick. £7

And last but not least and a bit dear;
Shave65.jpg

Stanley 65 Chamfer shave, should this have a thumbscrew to secure cap iron? £10

Bargain of the day but non woodwork was this torque wrench at 25p!
tWrench.jpg

in perfect working order.

All in all, not a bad stroll round but its getting harder...
Regards
Martin

Nice haul Martin
I especially liked the chisels, too!
This morning I picked up some nice expanding bits, a wooden jack and two decent rip saws-£5!! :lol:
Car booting is fun........
Philly :wink:

Thats it,

I'm getting up early next sunday and dragging myself off to a car boot sale.

Some good swag there.

Matt.

Matt
The best way to Dorchester is up the A1, keep going 'til it gets wet and then turn left....... :lol:

Chris
Nice haul! Those chisel handles are very good by the way! They look original and if not they are still good 'uns.
Really :shock: Is taht the quality of the original handles? I assumed they would be a better fit at the socket. Glad you mentioned it as they were for the trash.... Thanks.
Regards
Martin

Martin,

What you perceive as a bad fit is in fact how they are intended to be - see my chisels below - older by far than yours but the same basic design

DSC_3383.sized.jpg

Chris
You learn something here every day!
Your set look beautiful are they Stanley D? What sort of age are yours and mine pls? what wood are the handles IYO?
Be nice to get a set together..
Regards
Martin

Martin,

My chisels are by Merrill and Wilder and are stamped CE Jennings who bought the firm and stock in 1883. Mine appear to have been made before the time of the takeover- ca 139 years old. ( see here for some info http://www.mwtca.org/OTC/ar000021.htm ). My handles are hickory.

I am not a Stanley expert by any means and can't really date yours I am afraid. I wonder if the have any numbers on them beginning with a 7? Thus 7xx . Here's your kind - look up Stanley 750 chisels. http://tinyurl.com/d5p2d
Alf likes chisels even more than me, she'll be along to advise when England throw it all away. :cry: (Sorry - scrape home)

Nothing wrong with those handles. Can't tell you anything about them though; 'Murrican chisels are like a shut papery thing to me.

A gloater":27digrl6 said:
Stanley 65 Chamfer shave, should this have a thumbscrew to secure cap iron?
Nope.

waterhead37":27digrl6 said:
when England throw it all away.
Oh ye of little faith. [-X

Cheers, Alf

Back