Today's Booty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, in that case I do have a pairing chisel :lol:
Just a pitty it has been sharpened so often, now it's more like a stuby paring chisel.

Long handle, good steel, very usefull thing. I understand why it has been sharpened so often.

Getting back to Dave's drawknife:

DSC_8880.jpg

Jim said he thought this was Atkin and Sons, and I agree. Here is a rather clearer trademark of theirs - on a cap iron:

IMG_0841.jpg

which I think confirms it, though the drawknife has an older style mark with a zig-zag border.

A little light Googling shows that Atkin & Sons were a Birmingham firm, though one of their factories was called "Sheffield Works" to get the best of both worlds! They were in business from 1829 to 1966 and absorbed several other Birmingham toolmakers. This local history page gives dates and locations, plus saw sharpening tips.

I had a closer look today and I can definitely confirm it is a Atkin & Sons. Thank you Andy for the info and thank you Jimi for your keen eye

It's certainly very old DTR....right at the start of their business I would guess...the early part of the 1800s...

I would tidy up the bevel a bit..using a stone...and then hone it and I bet you get a razor-sharp edge.

Mine's Messrs Isaac Greaves and it is blinkin' dangerous if you don't take extra care.

I tend to use these things at a slight angle...the shavings come off easily with a skew to the edge.

Have fun with it. You will find that once you get "green" edge tools you start to go a bit native!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Back