Today at the Bootfair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody.....

With all the crazy sport going on...driving to morning bootfairs in Kent is a nightmare...so RARE for me...1pm bootfair which was an afternoon one. And I didn't even get there first! So...armed with the standard budget of £25...I picked up this little lot:

DSC_2322.JPG

An afternoon bowling with a grand set of four in wonderful canvas bag..net and measure...a fiver!

DSC_2321.JPG

A few mallets and gauges knocking about in that bag!

Then a gorgeous old grooving plane...searched the whole stall for a matching tongue plane...no luck...but for a quid...

DSC_2326.JPG

well something for The Prof to get his teeth into...

DSC_2325.JPG

Want to try to sort that mess out Andy!!!? 8)

This nice little panel hammer was 50p....I can see a handle in my stars!

DSC_2327.JPG

Don't ask!!! A quid...the base is Bakelite and it's an aquarium pump...(at the moment! :wink: )

DSC_2328.JPG

But it was made in Kent so I just had to buy it didn't I? Check out that air filter!!

The series of chisels had to be the bargains of the day in a huge box with about 1000 spanners...these gems were 10p each...and he did me a deal on the lot but you don't want to know that now do you! :mrgreen:

DSC_2330.JPG

This one's a "Mitchell"....Andy? Mitchell..... #-o

DSC_2331.JPG

The second one is a Ward and Payne...my favourite...

DSC_2332.JPG

Can't wait to sharpen this one...(carefully!)

DSC_2333.JPG

Followed by a hanging sheep I&H Sorby with a beautiful London pattern box handle....

DSC_2334.JPG

Here's the proof....

DSC_2336.JPG

And finally...the most interesting and obscure of all...this strange one...

DSC_2337.JPG

It is flat ended...doesn't look to be modified and sports this strange row of marks...

DSC_2338.JPG

That's yer mystery mark of the day guys!!!

Some work needed on this billhook-mostly on the handle.....

DSC_2339.JPG

But as you can see...it's an Elwell...so worth a quid I reckon!

DSC_2340.JPG

Next was this darling little natural whetstone...

DSC_2291.JPG

I collect natural whetstones and this one is gorgeous. It is now flat but that took me the best part of the afternoon...and it revealed beautiful golden flecks....so I took out the 30 year old Nikon Micro...

DSC_2313.JPG

Worth 50p for the hours of fun trying to identify this! By the way...it polishes and hones beautifully!

And last but not least...I splashed out three quid (shock horror!) for this gorgeous shotgun cartridge reloader...

DSC_2341.JPG

Ok...it's going to be needing some work with Corro-Dip methinks...

DSC_2342.JPG

But what a fantastic tool to round off a glorious afternoon in the sun...and I came away with change!!

Cheers guys and gals!

Jimi

Richard T":2s8f22qa said:
A great stash there Jim, as usual.

This is what is going on at our boot fair today. http://www.bulldogbash.eu/ :roll:

Hey Richard...they have lots of "strongest"..."largest" competitions!

You should have entered the "Man with the largest chisel" competition!!! :mrgreen:

Or the guy who sounds like he has a dragster in his garage event!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Amother medal-winning performance there!

I can't offer much info on any of that lot, but they do look useful and usable!
The mystery chisel mark looks like an Elephant - so possibly Tyzack, who did not only make saws??
According to Wolfgang Jordan's site, Peugeot also used an elephant so it could be theirs - some of the other lettering has a continental look about it possibly.

It could be ground square to use as a scraper in the way Bill Carter suggests.

Can you do some detail photos?

The grooving plane is clearly a very useful one to have been owned by so many people - and maybe old enough to have had zig-zag border owner stamps. What size is it?

And I'm dead impressed by your recognising the cartridge loader.

Nice ones!

Hi Prof

Went for gold today mate...went for gold!

Going back to the strange mark for the moment...and to put a big cat amongst the pigeons... :oops:

Both the marks either side of the letters are the same

I think there is a LION PASSANT standing on an ARROW with the arrowhead on the left.

Scraper sounds about right but skewed? And this tool is designed to be struck hard...(iron hoop)

Does that give you enough scope for further research while I set up a hi-res macro photo tomorrow?

On the cartridge loader...I think that you may have mentioned one here before...I know I've seen one somewhere.

It is a work of art and will be restored to its former glory first I think.

Jimi

UPDATE....that mark...bingo!

21112008_peugeot-logo-01.jpg

Peugeot 1872

Then I found this book....

peugeot.JPG

...inside of which was this page...

o099.JPG

Which puts this firmly in the "tout acier fondu"...(all CAST STEEL) and the mid 19C

So you were right...for the wrong reason...pretty cool that! 8) 8)

Very interesting indeed!

Jim

Jimi, I have to ask... what are you going to do with the shotgun cartridge loader? :shock:

Another typically impressive haul Jim, all the more so as you went on the wrong side of noon.

I got a few bits this week but I'm thinking about knocking it on the head. The gold to rubbish ratio is increasingly not in my favour. Anyhow, here's what I ended up with:

16ef44cb.jpg

Selection of allen keys, £1
Moore & Wright Whitworth thread gauges and the wooden box, £2
Record SS lever cap, £1 (as I put a SS cap iron in my #4 I thought I should get the lever cap to match)
Moore & Wright adjustable micrometer, £3.something

6ce64d2a.jpg

The chap wanted a fiver for it which I didn't have. So I offered him the contents of my back pocket which amounted to £3.something and some fluff, and he duly accepted. Although the mic is adjustable I'm going to leave it set up for 1-2" as it zeroes perfectly.

Some quality stuff there Dave!

I can't resist the M&W stuff and that was a real bargain...including the fluff! :mrgreen:

The SS lever caps are difficult to find and you can't have an SS cap iron without showing it off...its hidden after all!

Re the cartridge loader... :twisted:

Jim

Not at all Dave - I think you did very well there. Just thinking about what all that stuff would be new ... :shock:

Hi, Chaps

Looks like all the tools head down hill to the south!

Pete

jimi43":1gfdihdp said:
I can't resist the M&W stuff

Me neither... I don't normally go to the Wednesday boot fairs but as I was in the area...

DSC_9055.jpg

£2 each to satisfy the M&W fetish.

And this for a fiver

DSC_9063.jpg

If I only salvage the tool rest from it I'll be happy with that

Wow, that's not common!

DSC_9063.jpg

It's an electric drill powered lathe, but really solidly built.

I'd say it was an ideal starting point to make your own treadle powered lathe. You'll need a simple wooden framework to hold it, a crank and flywheel (think scrap bicycle parts) and a drive belt.
An excellent little project which could even keep you fit (well, on one leg at least).

Go on, you know you want to!

Latest posts

Back