Today - A play day!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
After delivering the large suite of furniture yesterday - I thought I'm going to have a few days catching up the "Can you Just" jobs.

Anyway todays little project was a simple Occasional Table - 70mm square section legs, simple turned detail finished just before coffee time, quick bit of morticing and rails moulded on router table before gluing up and locking M&Ts with Miller dowels to prevent having to leave the frame in cramps too long.

Top made from three pieces of oak biscuit jointed together - made this first thing so that was dry by time frame was done and after some sanding a coat of medium oak spirit stain was applied and after a couple of hours over sprayed with quick drying gloss pre-cat laquer.

After an hour the lacquer was de-nibbed with webrax and a coat of light Mylands wax applied.

Hey Presto!

OccasionalTable.jpg

Delivered to a mate on my way home - not bad for a days work

Tomorrow I've got an oak table top to collect, sand back to remove scratches and re-polish - said I will do same day so will have my work cut out as SWMBO told me i'm taking her out tomorrow afternoon - Me thinks I might be in the dog house when I get home late!

Nice table. Incredible turn around time. :shock: Is the bottom rail made to match domino mortice size? :wink:

mailee":2hmllvfo said:
HELL FIRE ROG! you after my crown or what!? Great work and great speed too, well impressed. :eek:

Us olduns can still give you youngsters a run for your money :lol: :lol:

As for your comment re Dominos Alex - Wash your mouth out! - Only proper mortice and tenons here :mrgreen:

Well Mailee - Done it again today - Phew!

Collected a friends solid oak dining table top at 9am this morning, had to wait whilst the kiddies finished their corn flakes but took the table top to my workshop, the problem with it was the chap who made it left the pegs standing proud and numerous spills have occurred over the years and the top finish had suffered badly.

Anyway, got it onto a couple of tressels, a few good passes with a sharp plane (I love my new Quangshengs!) and the pegs were flat and the old finish removed.

SandedTable.jpg

A coat of medium Oak Nitrostain and left in the sun for an hour, and then taken back into the workshop for a couple of coats of Pre-cat lacquer, rubbed down with webrax between coats.

Finally the gloss top coat was lightly de-nibbed before being over-waxed to give a good durable finish.

DSCF3230.jpg

Delivered on my way home in order that they can eat their tea off it tonight! (Well hopefully they will use plates!)

Speedy turnaround - Jobs a goodun!

Monday - start a Black Walnut circular laminated tray - may take a bit longer that one as need to make the cauls as well.

:mrgreen:

looks good but wont it smell a bit in the house and the finnish still be a bit soft to use straight away?

cheers

Jon

Dodge":2dyuqcn0 said:
mailee":2dyuqcn0 said:
HELL FIRE ROG! you after my crown or what!? Great work and great speed too, well impressed. :eek:

Us olduns can still give you youngsters a run for your money :lol: :lol:

As for your comment re Dominos Alex - Wash your mouth out! - Only proper mortice and tenons here :mrgreen:
Nice job...quite agree about the Doms...new fangled nonsense :lol: m/t's are the way forward! - Rob

Very speedy work mate. I had to giggle to myself picturing you stood over the kids at breakfast tapping your foot waiting for them to finish. :lol: Got to agree with John though, won't it be too soft to use yet?

No the pre-cat I use goes off rock hard in about an hour - it is almost like acid cat without the acid activator.

Anyway - I wasn't allowed to have it longer!

I can't believe you made that table in a day! My hat off to you! Would take me that long to measure up.

Back