Toasty!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm, dunno about you poor pippers shivering in cold chilly workshops, but all my insulation seems to have paid off! 20 degrees C! Lovely :lol:

medium.jpg

OK, humidity is high but I brought some wet bee hives in and it takes a while to get them dried out. At this rate, I might have to turn the heating down :oops: (it's only a little electric wall radiator!).

Adam 8)

Adam I have wired in my loverly new electric rad ( ta santa) and whilst its not quite 20 deg is getting up there, my breath no longer freezes as I breathe out. With a bit of insulation I may never need to go back into the house :wink:

Bean

Chilly workshop..??? High humidity...??... whazzat...??????

there's a lot t be said for carpets on the floor and central heatin; one of the few perks of a matchbox sized shop... :p :wink:

Well I came in from the shop and having read this I went back with the camera :roll:
Dscn3307s.jpg

I find that anything over 15 is OK twenty is a bit warm unless I am sitting quietly trying to fit little bits together :lol: The humidity is high cause I trod on the drain from the dehumidifier yesterday morning and its been damping the door mat all night and most of the day, :? thats got and its coming back down again. :)

The shop is much bigger than Adams (bit of a gloat there 8) ), not fully insulated but has a wood burner in one corner. :D Its running mainly on the waste from the planer/thicknesser at the moment, I am preparing the ash for my new work bench. :D

8) It was 28C in my workshop yesterday afternoon and my small fan just cannot cope. Maybe i should insulate the the rest of the garage ceiling. 8) 8)

Hi Guys
Didn't take a photo but mine stays around 16 degrees c and low 50's r/h. I find any warmer and I don't do any work!!! :shock:
Happy New Year
Philly :D

Dave: can you comment on the value of the 'wood-burner'? I've wondered about one of these toys, first to keep the temperature up ( :roll: amazing, eh?), but also to get rid of all the waste and offcuts...

However, I'm sure I read somewhere that the burning of organic material (ie wood) actually generates a lot of water vapour, and this has always had me a bit wary, given my rust saga... Has it had any noticable effect on the humidity for you?

Any one else got other advice on the utility or otherwise of these gadgets?

Oh tragedy. I can't depress myself with how high the humidity and low the temp are 'cos the old man pinched my hygro-thermometer in order to demonstrate how the wood stove in the sitting room really doesn't make the temperature unbearable despite our protests to the contrary. (As it registered 73 degs F we're claiming victory...
blink.gif
) Never mind though, eh? I may have got a high of 118 in the w'shop during the summer and humidity from 19 to 91%
cry.gif
, but at least I have room to turn round...
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Occasionally hitting the perfect woodworking workshop climate, but only en route to and from imperfect ones.
unsure.gif

Hi Shandy,

Will yes the output that goes up the flue does have a high moisture content, so the inside of the flue does rust if its not stainless, but once the fire is running hot, the moisture should not be condensing in the flue. This is the same for gas boiler, its when the exhaust of the unit vents into the shop you will have problems. Colour gas heaters or the paraffin ones do cause lots of dampness.

I love the wood burner, it uses up all of the test bits of wood, :wink: as well as the sawdust and shavings. I burn more than I produce in the way of waste, once the word gets around that you burn wood I find it appears from all sorts of places for free. :D

The only thing you need to be careful of is the smoke and neighbours, I had one over the back complain to the council about the smoke. The council chap who came round was OK, I have extended the flue by 1 metre and taken the rain hood off, so far the neighbour has not complained again. 8)

Thanks for that Dave, makes sense to me. Like you, there are a lot of 'test pieces' in my workshop... :wink:

Anyone got any good links to cheapish, reasonably good/recommended ones out there? I'm talkin about a 2 car garage to be warmed...

Hi Shady,

I installed a HotSpot Relax No.4 woodburning workshop stove (there are various sizes available) and find it excellent. I burn logs (fortunately I have plenty readily available) on it to heat my workshop which is part of an old stone and brick coach-house. There is tremendous heat loss into the loft above but the stove still keeps me warm, as well as being so useful for the disposal of shavings, chippings, etc. - and running costs are nil. Like Dave, I have not found any detrimental effects. I have no close neighbours so fortunately smoke is not a problem for me. Mine is a bit larger than strictly necessary which I have found useful at times so that I can stoke it up a bit extra if I want.

Just one tip, touched on by Dave - avoid the thin galvanised 'tin' flue components supplied by Hotspot. They are very flimsy and don't last. Go for a stainless steel flue.

I have been using my stove for four years now (four years free heating!) and it is still fine. The burn is very easily controllable and the stove can even be filled, turned down and kept in overnight.

You can have a look at them on:

http://www.thehotspot.co.uk/workshop-stoves/relax.htm

I'm not sure the R5/R6 stainless flue bits fit the R4. Worth a check. On advice given when I bought my stove from a retailer, I bought my ss flue bits separately.

Cheers,

Trev

Dave - Here in CZ almost every one has a woodburner so no one would dare complain about smoke, a fair few are still used to heat individual rooms in homes as well - I use mine in the old workshop but plan to put in a central heating type in the new one.

Hi Trev and Losos,

I still miss where I grew up, we lived on an unmade road, in bungalow called 'Park Rise', loads of space around it. We had an open fire in the living room, fire places in the bedrooms were only lit if you were ill or at Christmas!

Dad built, before I was around, a large workshop, had an old solid fuel boiler in it he got from a job he was working. I have no idea how he got it home, it was cast iron must of weighed a ton and he used a push bike for work. It only ever burnt saw dust and scraps of wood, we had a friend who had a builders/timber yard and we took away his waste.

The chap from the council said everyone in his opinion thinks no one should ever have a fire, in side or out! Dad used to have bonfires that burnt fore days and the column of smoke could be seen 1/2 a mile away. He still has a bonfire, just it will never be a 'Park Rise' one now.

Mum and Dad were CPed out of there when I was 21, I will be 50 in 4 days and it still gets me cross over what they were paid for their home.

Sorry to rant but the way most of us all end up living too close to each other and not being able to do things that everyone did as a mater of course does make me cross.

Just practicing for being a grumpy old man, LOML says I am quite good at it.

Understand how you feel, Dave. We were fortunate in being able to move from Surrey to Hereford to put ourselves back into the kind of situation that your Mum and Dad enjoyed. Moved here (near to the good clogs maker :wink: ) nine years ago, mainly for peace and quiet and to be free of traffic jams. I can, and do, have a bonfire as large and as often as I like and we still have an open fire indoors when we feel like it (not meant to be a gloat - just part of the way we live now).

Best move we ever made - less money in exchange for a better quality of life in many ways. We would never consider going back! Tim may have a view on this?

Good on you for having a rant - most of us need to from time to time.

LOML sometimes calls me 'Victor', usually when I put on my flat cap - can't understand why! :roll:

Best wishes for your birthday on the 5th!

Cheers,

Trev

(apologies to all for going completely off-topic but, as often happens, one thing leads to another)

We don't have any neighbours at all - (well within 1/2 a mile).

I do agree with Trev but I also have to say that while the summers are magic here, the winters can be a bit miserable - unless you like mud (and lots of it). I also wish we lived closer to the sea but you can't have everything..... is it too much of a gloat to say that my local has just been named good pub guide 'pub of the year'? :D

I was brought up next to Poole Harbour so 'going back' wouldn't be such a bad thing!

BTW where is a good source for those digital thermometer/ hygro clock thingys?

Happy 2005 - may it be all that you want it to be.

T

Back