To Rat or not to Rat?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
After I was barred from too much woodworking by my surgeon, I had a lot of time to think about improvements in the shop.

Now, he's given me the all clear to carry on as normal, and I am considering another Woodrat. (I sold one I had never used, and now I am regretting it. )

My longest wall span is six feet though, and I don't know if that's wide enough. Also, what does one do when the work-piece is too long to set vertically in the jig? Seems I will need to have different height mountings for the jig. So I need one completely vacant wall about ten feet wide by eight or nine feet high, given over to the jig. Does that sound about right?

I already have means of machine dovetailing, for when I am too idle to use hand tools, so maybe I could buy a set of Martin Godfrey's lifting bars, and make my own plate. Thus I could use the Router overhead on the work-bench. A sort of 'limited' use WoodRat, great for morticing, grooving or moulding. Hmmmm! A few sleepless nights I think.

Or should I just break out the plastic? After all, I lost only about £60.00 on my original Rat.

John :?

I've looked at them before. Those who have them, swear by them. But they look terribly faffy to me. It strikes me that the learning curve is steep enough that you'd have to put in a lot of work to get up the hill, or just leave it hanging on the wall doing nothing.

Actually Tom they're remarkably simple.
I recently bought Philly's littlerat - and I can't believe how easy it actually is to use. I'll be posting details of my first effort with it tomorrow.
I have my rat mounted at chest height. If a work piece is too big to fit in it then I need to be thinking of another way to work it. I wouldn't want to be raising the rat any higher than it already is - or I'd need to stand on ladders.
Perhaps it's just me but the way of using them just seems to make sense. Watch the video on the rat website and it'll either click or it won't.

I've had one for some years and don't use it as much as I thought I would although there are times when it is a godsend and it is hard to think of anything else that would do the job.

Mine is on a piece of wall that is no longer than five feet but the right hand end of the Rat is next to a doorway so that I can make use of that space when I need to. Also, don't forget that you only really need the length at Rat height and the space underneath it and the piece of wood you mount it on is perfect for a shallow cupboard - I keep all my Rat related stuff and planes in mine. Another plus for the Rat is that it is an inherently very safe and controlled way of using a router and the ability to reverse (or climb) cut to avoid break out is very useful.

Having said all of that I have concluded that a Rat is not a complete substitute for a decent router table which excels for things like moulding, grooving and shaping from patterns. A Rat can do moulding and grooving but it is hard to achieve the accuracy of a good router table and hold down set up and, of course, this is probably one of the most common uses for a router.

I started off with Rat and have recently bought a good router table. If I were starting again I would do it the other way round and might never get round to buying a Rat.

Jim

To be honest, John, I don't think that you need anywhere near as much space as you are suggesting. OK - if you think that you might want to work on very long timber in the horizontal direction then I would say that (a) work holding something of that length on the Rat is iffy and (b) far easier, simpler and safer to do whatever you were going to do by using the router table or spindle moulder.

If it's long work in the vertical direction (and the only thing that has ever 'caught' me out with the Rat) then, yes, you could have alternatve mounting points so you could raise it vertically. But then, by the time you'd faffed around, you could just as easily have made the tenons or whatever on the table saw/bandsaw/weapon-of-choice.

You mention making your own plate etc ...if so then I start to question why you really want/need the Rat.

I think that it is great for making wee dovetails and finger joints...but then you mention that you do dovetails on something else....so why buy a Rat?

If you do want to go that route then the RouterBoss (is that the right name?) seems to be a strong competitor.

There is Aldels' site for all things 'ratty.

My own Rat has lain unused for nigh on the last two years. It's mounted on the wall and ready to go but never had a need for it. The one time that I did want to use it, I had to think long and hard where the on-off switch was on the router :oops:

Having said that, I do now have a number of projects in mind where the Rat may well come into its' own.

I've worked in two pro 'shops and each one had a rat thing in it. In each case they sat on the wall gathering dust...I never, ever saw them used. Invest the money elsewhere John :wink: - Rob

yetloh":3bmgviwd said:
I've had one for some years and don't use it as much as I thought I would although there are times when it is a godsend and it is hard to think of anything else that would do the job.
Reckon that sums up my use for it too. A 'Rat will do things other methods simply can't, but the things it does that other methods can do, well maybe those other methods do them better. But the 'Rat can do them. You either have the right sort of mind for it - finding ingenious solutions to a problem being something you regard as fun rather than a necessary evil - or you don't and it'll remain largely unused. Total waste of money for any kind of commercial production situation, but can be a really useful tool for one-off bespoke stuff, which is usually what the unpaid woodworker ends up doing. I won't pretend I haven't come close to selling mine on a few occasions, but I'm certain I'd only end up regretting it.

Cheers, Alf

In my shop I've always tried to decide on a 'set way' of doing things, and stick to that method. I find jobs go easier like that, as I become used to my tools and machinery. Knowing how you are going to cut certain joints is a boon in the planning stage.

That doesn’t mean I don’t ever change. E.g since I got decent spiral up-cut bits, I have begun using slip-M&Ts almost exclusively and my hollow-chisel morticer stands idle: oops:

The WoodRat is a 'does-everything’ bit of kit and it suits the hobbyist who might use it for every project and for every stage of the job. So, if I do get one it would mean lot of other stuff will lie idle in my shop.

Conversely, I am a believer in using the router overhead (rather than in a table) and the idea of having it mounted on the wall ready for immediate use appeals. At the same time if I have a couple of mouldings to work, or a quick groove to plough, I either get out the hand-planes, or set up the 1/4" router and use it hand-held. For Slip-M&Ts it doesn't take long to set up the 1/2 router.

Then neither would it take long to walk the components over to the Rat; and in truth cutting end-grain mortices would be a breeze!

Overall, I am tempted, even though I see where you are coming from Rob. So I am now thinking of a way to avoid the SWIMBO ‘tool-detector’!

:D :D :D

Thanks everyone for the input.

John :ho2

Benchwayze":3jo01lqx said:
That doesn’t mean I don’t ever change. E.g since I got decent spiral up-cut bits, I have begun using slip-M&Ts almost exclusively and my hollow-chisel morticer stands idle: oops:

Having a senior moment here. slip-M&Ts aka loose tenon? In which case, why do you not use your morticer to make the..um..mortices?

devonwoody":zhj4pqoo said:
Ensure delivery on her hair cut day. :wink:

I thought of that, but SWIMBO's hairdresser has a habit of changing appointment times at short notice!

I do have a mate who understands though, so I'll have it sent to his address!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John have a look at the kitchen I did last year (my blog) The rat was used for stiles, rails, doors, moulding, dovetails, t&g,s glazing bars etc etc. Can't think what I didn't use it for. Had mine for about 9 years now and would not be without it.

Woodworking for me is a hobby. I needed to make some doors and other items, and finding that the cost to buy - or get someone else to make them - was too high for me, I decided to take the DIY route. I've got a small shed to work in and a limited budget.

My only purchases to complement the few handsaws, drills etc I have, are the WoodRat, a Router and a Dust extractor. I don't have a Router table, or band saw or table saw - and I have never tried any of them.

Like the previous post, for me the WoodRat does everything I want, I don't have anything to compare it to - but then I don't need to!

I really like the flexibiity the 'Rat gives in deciding how to do something and the way it works is just so intuitive. I didn't find it hard to learn how to use it - but then I had no other knowledge to get in the way. Sometimes change can be a hard thing to accept - whereas learning is much easier.

I think the WoodRat is a great tool and it's rewarding to use. I did consider other tools/jigs and nearly purchased a US Jig based tool - but I'm glad I went for the WoodRat.

Graham

We had a woodrat where I used to work, only ever used it for box comb joints. If I needed to do dovetails I'd do them by hand. Any other process was quicker and easier using more dedicated methods. If I wanted to do box comb joints now I'd get a jig for the router table. I'm sure the woodrat is a great peace of kit, but I failed to find the benefit of its cost

I think if it were a large commercial shop - with plenty of room for the correct tool for the job - then the rat would only get used for only a very few jobs.
In a home workshop though I think it would/will be very useful. It isn't a replacement for the router table but can be used 'easier' for some things than a table can.
I think you need to look at what you think you'd use one for and then decide if it's something you want or not.

I have owned a 'Rat for some years. Admittedly it stands idle for periods but when I need it, it is invaluable. I often use it for routing small pieces of material where the home-made table holds the wood rather than risk a finger held situation. The "power" feed is great, as is the ability to "upcut" for a really good finish. I have also cut many finger or comb joints in soft wood, hardwood and even ply and it is really good for this.

Bob

Thanks again for all the input folks.

I have a 'Rat' lined up so, as you'll gather, I will set one up soon.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again and a Happy Woodworking New Year to all.

Regards
John :D

Back