To glue or not to glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm in the process of a coffee table build, I'm using tapered sliding dovetails to attach the top to the rails and wondered whether it'd be better to glue the sliding dovetail, partially glue it or use no glue?
Context: table is Oak , two stretches are fixed to the top with the sliding dovetails, the stretchers are then dominoed into rails
Cheers Josh

Fully gluing them would be defeating the object of using them. You could partially glue them at the place you have designed to remain stable when the top moves with changes in humidity levels in the room, allowing the rest to move freely. Or you could leave them unglued.

Sounds interesting, as sliding dovetails aren't common these days. Got any photos?

Are the stretchers running in the same direction as the table top grain or at 90 degrees to it?

Cheers yes I thought as much but haven't done this joint before and can't find much info on gluing it. Yes the stretches run at 90 to the top. I've attached a picture of it propped up to give an idea , the sliding dovetails are used instead of buttons on the aprons so that the top has the floating effect, there's also a shelf (not on the picture) running the full length of the table 70mm up from the bottom dovetailed onto to rails either side
Hope this makes sense i'd upload more photos but my phone saves them in a file too large to upload
Thanks for the help guys
Josh
IMG_20200101_091758~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_091758~2.jpg
    IMG_20200101_091758~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 227
Joshjosh":2cmxkva7 said:
....... i'd upload more photos but my phone saves them in a file too large to upload....

Pixresizer

Interesting project, and it's nice to see some joinery. The dovetailed lower shelf sounds fun, too.

I know these floating tops are fashionable, but the omission of an apron across the short ends does feel a bit odd. Each to their own. The most important thing is that someone is actually making a decent piece of stand alone furniture, a real rarity in these parts these days.

Joshjosh":8bcc937t said:
Yes the stretches run at 90 to the top.
Then if the joint is a reasonable fit I would try it without glue. If the joint is a bit loose I would just glue at one end.

Just4Fun":2yt3blfr said:
........If the joint is a bit loose I would just glue at one end.

Or in the middle. That might be better as it would keep the top centralised over the rails if it moved, but is more difficult to achieve in practise.

I would put a brass screw in the middle of the sliding dovetail, just in case you need to remove the top.

Pete

Cheers
A dab of glue one end it is then unless I anyone knows how id go about glueing the middle? If I figure the camera thing out I'll post a picture of the result. ( I'm 28 but still need my wife to show me how to work a phone)

I don't think it is possible to glue just the middle of a sliding dovetail.

With difficulty, but yeah, you can. Firstly, spread wax liberally over all those parts where you don't want glue to stick. Apply your glue to the bottom of the housing and slide the cross pieces in three quarters of the way or more. Or, drill a series of holes through the cross pieces, countersunk on the glued surface, and squeeze glue down these whilst at the 3/4+ position. This will leave gaps down the sides, where you squidge some glue, then tap the cross pieces home. Imperfect, but glued. :)

MikeG.":75gi5z34 said:
I know these floating tops are fashionable, but the omission of an apron across the short ends does feel a bit odd. Each to their own. The most important thing is that someone is actually making a decent piece of stand alone furniture, a real rarity in these parts these days.

Funny - I looked at this and thought this design looked better without the end apron, especially where the aprons flare in thickness at their end. I think that it would look too chunky otherwise. As you rightly say, each to their own :D

The first piece of furniture I made was a coffee table (about 8 years ago) I look at it now and think, "Boy, that's chunky". I like looking at other people's designs for inspiration

Racers":18v7zcbu said:
I would put a brass screw in the middle of the sliding dovetail, just in case you need to remove the top.

Pete
That's the best idea... a top that is not removable is not such a great idea.

MikeG.":3glppnvs said:
Joshjosh":3glppnvs said:
....... i'd upload more photos but my phone saves them in a file too large to upload....

Pixresizer

Interesting project, and it's nice to see some joinery. The dovetailed lower shelf sounds fun, too.

I agree...it looks as if there's a bit missing, but the exposed m/t joints are a good touch; better in my view if they're about 3mm proud and then rounded over. Tricky to do but easy when you've done a few - Rob

Cheers for the feedback and ideas, I see your point on the missing apron I thought it'd lighten the design to leave it out (with the stretches doing its job anyway). The guy I'm building it for has OKed the design but Ill see what it looks like when I dry assemble it

Latest posts

Back