Titebond

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
After following a best glue thread on here I purchased some titebond of off eBay, not yet checked the date but have used half of it already gluing up a lot of segmented bowls etc ready for turning, spent best part of a week preparing the timber making the jigs and gluing up. So you can imagine I was right peeved when yesterday 48 hrs after gluing the last bit up I took the last few out of the clamps to stack on the shelf only to find surface glue not yet set. I came home in disgust and thought about it. Posts indicated no problems with glue kept a few years and it has not been frosty, nor has it been scorching hot. I will check the date later today. But at the moment well peeved to say the least. I was wanting to get on with my competition bowl now have to wait for the glue to set or give up and start all over again. :(

Not sure, I was wondering if you had the. Poly glue, which requires a moist surface to work but this doesn't apply to you.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

There should be a code on the bottle near the top. If it has started to become thick and viscous and doesn't spread or flow easily it's gone off. You can translate the code:

We have had two lot numbering systems for the wood glues. The old one was:
The first digit represents the last digit of the year of manufacture. The second digit is a letter that indicates the month. We use the
letters A through M, excluding the letter I. The third digit is a number. It represents the manufacturing division the product was made
for. The next four numbers represent the internal lot or batch number. That is followed by a decimal point and two numbers which
represent the day of manufacture.
Example:
6L12455.23 – This material was manufactured on November 23rd of 2006.
In March of 2009, we switched to the new lot numbering system. The new one is:
The first digit represents A for America (made in), the second digit is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the third and fourth digits
represent the month, the fifth and sixth digits represent the day of the month and the last four digits represent the lot number.
Example:
A904270023 – This material was manufactured on April 27, 2009

Cheers Noel will look for the number tomorrow. The seller assures me it is not old stock to them but of course their supplier may have had old stock come to light. It does eventually set but yet to try and turn a segmented bowl glued with it.

from the number A202140010 I get 14th feb 2012 batch 0010 so not old at all, maybe a bad batch?
they are mystified as to the cause of the problem and are sending a replacement of "Original" rather than the "premium", so result. As I had already left good feedback there was no need to sort this out but they have.

Back