Titan Black Magna lathes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisk

Established Member
Reaction score
Now come on boys,and girls, there has to be someone out there in radio land who can give me some info on these lathes. Like I said in a previous post one has come up, and I would appreciate any info from hands on guys before I do the drive out to have a look at it(1100 kms, which is not a bad run actually, best ever is 1750 kms in 17 hours). Now anyone who comes forward will get a pint from me if you come to Alberta, or me to British Isles! How is that for an offer? Or Austria or wherever!

I have had a short play on one twice and if money was no object this would be the lathe I would buy ahead of things like a VB or Stubby etc.

john

thanks John. What was it that impressed you so much? It seems to be very quiet, the power and components seem first class. I am a cast iron guy I was wondering if you could tell any diference in sound or vibration with the welded construction? thanks

I've worked on Titans many times; both the 315 & 400. In fact no long back from a 3 day show working on a Titan 400.

There are too many pros to list but regarding sound or vibration you'll find it quiet and solid; it takes 2 to 3 people to lift the headstock which indicates the weight and build quality and yet on the bed glides and swivels with ease.

the amount of money they cost you could get the new powermatic 4224B and have a 24" swing instead of 16" swing over the bed,regards, Eric.

woodturnerEric":1dcoszhm said:
the amount of money they cost you could get the new powermatic 4224B and have a 24" swing instead of 16" swing over the bed,regards, Eric.

Just had a look at Nick Cook's video of the powermatic 4224B and IMHO there is no comparison, the Titan wins hands down on spec, design and use

Funny I just watched it and I would say the Titan wins as well. Just in the negotiation right now but will keep posting. I am looking at the 400, so same swing as the Powermatic. One of my last chaiwanese purchases was General Int. thickeness planer and the motor lasted all of 20 minutes! They were good about it but I got the motor rewound in Calgary by a reputable motor repair shop and not a new one from wherever they were made that week.
The Titan does look to be the one>

Dennisk ,don't think about it any more, just break out the auld Balaclava and go and get the 400 . Other wise no matter what you get you will always be wondering .

I remember about 40 yrs. ago I bought a new truck ,I could have bought 2/3 houses for what I paid for it .A friend of mine asked me if I would be able to sleep at night with that amount of debt hanging over me.

I replied NO SWEAT ,but the people I owe it to might not . Be brave , visiting rights are very good now . :lol: :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dennisk":3jozyyll said:
Funny I just watched it and I would say the Titan wins as well. Just in the negotiation right now but will keep posting. I am looking at the 400, so same swing as the Powermatic. One of my last chaiwanese purchases was General Int. thickeness planer and the motor lasted all of 20 minutes! They were good about it but I got the motor rewound in Calgary by a reputable motor repair shop and not a new one from wherever they were made that week.
The Titan does look to be the one>

Go for it :!: You won't regret it. They are a dream to use.

Got it! Put some money on it this morning and will probably drive out get it at Christmas time and then spend a few days with the brother who lives out there as well. Looking forward to it, but so damn busy with building houses now there is just no time. In this part of the world old man winter is on his way and we have at least five man months of exterior work, with three guys to do it. The black one will have to wait! Now as long as the right bearings show up for the old Wadkin , I can get this months challenge squeezed in as well.

Back