Tissue box slightly different

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to change the top appearance of tissue box this time. I wanted to display a flat contrast outline around the top edge of box, so I have mitred top edge of carcass and top lid. Later I intend to take off protruding carcass top edge so it should produce a flat outline in contrast.

1w-32.jpg

Clamped the glued lid in position using my new Dakota clamps got this week with discount.

2w-30.jpg

Displaying the box with the top edge unfinished, awaiting it chamfered edge to be shaved off.

3w-31.jpg

Do they make boxes with lids in this fashion?

Took off the proud top edge of carcass safely, used a chisel at corners to avoid break out and then cleaned off with a block plain. I do confess there is a slight gap between lid and carcass. I intentionally made the top slightly smaller than the box wanting to get a drop in and then doing above to get a complete flat insertion look.

4w-35.jpg

I infilled with Brummer stopping and then sanded with paper and orbital sanders and have obtained a clean effect.

5w-32.jpg

Close up this morning,

6w-29.jpg

7w-29.jpg

I will give the box a coat of sanding sealer, but because of the Brummer stopping what should I finish with, would it be OK with wax or should I go for a varnish this time?

Back