Tissue box Lacewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased a board of London Plane last week and started on a box in addition to the block box also underway.

The board of LP was 12" wide and rough sawn 60mm thick in spots. So I have decided to cut my carcass boards down the thickness which then should produce almost quartersawn timber and I believe known as Lacewood.

The picture below shows a 12mm thick strip but is only 52mm wide. (and this means I cannot get the full depth my tissue boxes need.)

7w.jpg

The second photograph I have added a contrast strip top and bottom of American Black Walnut to make up depth required.

8w.jpg

Attachments

• 7w.jpg
    7w.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 675
  • 8w.jpg
    8w.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 675
The boards for making the box have been prepared, the two bottom items of photograph.

9w.jpg

The carcass has been constructed but with an error, I messed up the grain placements, see corner, I was tempted to cut at corners and turn the joints to external mitres but recalled my grandmother telling me in the past that a blind man would be pleased to see it. So, with warts.

10w.jpg

Attachments

• 9w.jpg
    9w.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 603
  • 10w.jpg
    10w.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 603
The carcass has cleaned up quite well, this has just been hand sanded with 120 grit sandpaper and it does not play up.

11w.jpg

The crosses display a rebate top and bottom of that end piece and is the reason sthe piece got inverted when assembling, there should have been only one rebate and I followed the incorrect line at the time.

Attachments

• 11w.jpg
    11w.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 529
Back