Tired of push, pluck, preen, and position?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":3aftsctk said:
and which is why he has been on my Foe list for several months now. Never see his mumblings unless someone quotes them.
Only a few months Rog? A lot longer here, unless I particular want to see the...and as Jim has said, boring tirades - Rob

This is a shame. You guys are getting further off-topic than Jacob!

I don't want to be anyone's apologist, but a diversity of opinions is a good thing, surely? In my inexperienced view, we'd be the poorer for Jacob not contributing (for example I find his musings on old 'production' techniques fascinating - getting it done well enough, rather than getting it perfect), and it doesn't have to get personal like this. I know too that some disagreements go back a long time, but everyone's experience is too valuable to allow to go to waste simply for the sake of points scoring.

One of the best things about the Veritas April 'announcements' is that they send themselves up a bit. They're evidently aware that the whole tool quality thing goes to ridiculous extremes sometimes, and they're not so pompous they can't take a joke, evidently. They're also not aiming at anyone else.

Personally, I've had great benefit from everyone who's contributed on the forum, including pretty much everyone on this thread. After a couple of years or so of membership I'm still pinching myself that such a great bunch of people are around. Some of what I've been reading above rather spoils the view...
-----------------------------------

... so, did anyone else wonder if Veritas have just inadvertently produced the first battery-poweref low-angle smoother? I noticed they didn't say if batteries were included - that could be a glaring omission, possibly.

One way to do it might be a piezo-electric front knob - recharge the tote from the gripping pressure applied, or possibly a small windmill, driven by the plane's forward movement.

There may be room for further work on this one, possibly?

E.

woodbloke":3s4cqmpx said:
RogerS":3s4cqmpx said:
and which is why he has been on my Foe list for several months now. Never see his mumblings unless someone quotes them.
Only a few months Rog? A lot longer here, unless I particular want to see the...and as Jim has said, boring tirades - Rob
Rob, Roger, and the rest of the 5th form. :lol:
I often read yours (and the rest of the gang's) stuff - even though it is mostly boring twaddle. Not to mention hopelessly inaccurate time after time! But I don't lose any sleep over it. It does remind me of being back at school though, with a gang of twerpy 5th formers all squeaking away! :lol: :lol:
PS I don't normally go in for personal insults so I feel I am entitled to return them on occasions.

Eric The Viking":1qn2be78 said:
This is a shame. You guys are getting further off-topic than Jacob!
If you have a beef, I advocate reporting him to the mods and resisting the urge to acknowledge his trolling in public, gentlemen. Then perhaps we can reclaim the pleasant atmosphere this board used once to boast.

Eric The Viking":1qn2be78 said:
... so, did anyone else wonder if Veritas have just inadvertently produced the first battery-poweref low-angle smoother? I noticed they didn't say if batteries were included - that could be a glaring omission, possibly.

One way to do it might be a piezo-electric front knob - recharge the tote from the gripping pressure applied, or possibly a small windmill, driven by the plane's forward movement.

There may be room for further work on this one, possibly?
What about the heat generated? Surely something could be done with that. I'm starting to think Veritas have dropped the ball on this one... :lol:

Also, I got to thinking about the Veri-tainer overnight, and why is it that boring old power tools that don't last ten years get such dedicated storage devices, but hand tools that will last several lifetimes tend to come in a mouldy old cardboard box? I think the Veri-tainer is the way forward. I'll take... *counts off likely number of Veri-tainers required* Um, savings for bulk purchases, Rob? :oops:

I understand what you are saying, Eric. I am not easily provoked but.... and Alf is, as usual, right. There is as you say, much to be said for diversity of opinion and it is something I too enjoy about this forum. So far as getting off topic is concerned, I find that many of the best insights arise from it but... enough said, I think

Jim

I'm always left wondering, after seeing the AFDs from Veritas, how many they would actually sell if they made them available. I am sure there would be takers.

My LA smoother by the way still lives in the cardboard Veritainer as supplied, although it does now get it's own sock as well.

cheers

Andy

dedee":3mzixklr said:
I'm always left wondering, after seeing the AFDs from Veritas, how many they would actually sell if they made them available. I am sure there would be takers.
Which is my point really, looking at other stuff of theirs which sells. Our Rob would be in there doing enthusiastic reviews like a shot!

My LA smoother is kicking about under the bench somewhere with a lot of other junk. I use it now and then as it does just go that extra step, but the Stanleys/Records are much nicer to use in general.

Sitting in front of the telly last night, I sharpened the mini-router plane I was given at Axminster last month.

Once I'd worked out how to hold it on the stone/wet+dry (fumble-fingers!), I have to say that Veritas' A2 steel takes a wicked edge. All I need now is a suitable excuse to use it!

I also ended up looking at their period-copy pencil-sharpener yesterday (too much time, etc.). It's really nice and ought to work very well indeed. I've gone from 'that's a gimmic' to being sorely tempted...

... they know their marketing !

E. :)

Alf":3rtplrk7 said:
If you have a beef, I advocate reporting him to the mods and resisting the urge to acknowledge his trolling in public, gentlemen. Then perhaps we can reclaim the pleasant atmosphere this board used once to boast.
Agreed Al, but 'stoney ground' is an apt description of the response, though on other places where this individual isn't permitted, the atmosphere is far more genial - Rob

woodbloke":10jth38y said:
Alf":10jth38y said:
Agreed Al, but 'stoney ground' is an apt description of the response, though on other places where this individual isn't permitted, the atmosphere is far more genial - Rob
Other place, not places. I'm not permitted in only one place as far as I know.
Seems a bit quite over there. Is that what you call genial? More like a failing old folks home! 2 posts today, three yesterday, all boring. In fact it started going down hill the day the banned me!

Back